Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was wondering what everyone thought about using 4pin vs. 3pin fans in for the case fans in a G5 mod. My motherboard, GA-H97M-D3H, has three 4pin connectors for case fans. I have 2 fans to wire together for both the front and back fans and then the front speaker fan and HDD fan. I could wire 2-2-2. Do I need fan control for all or any of them?

Thanks,
Mike

I was wondering what everyone thought about using 4pin vs. 3pin fans in for the case fans in a G5 mod. My motherboard, GA-H97M-D3H, has three 4pin connectors for case fans. I have 2 fans to wire together for both the front and back fans and then the front speaker fan and HDD fan. I could wire 2-2-2. Do I need fan control for all or any of them?

Thanks,
Mike

I generally select the 4 wire fans as they a PWM control (Pulse Width Modulation). I am of the opinion that they are controlled better by the motherboard fan monitor circuits.

But anyway, I want to mention that many people install way too many fans in G5 Power Mac cases. Back in the day the CPUs and GPUs generated much more heat then the current technology available. This also goes for PSUs... High powered PSUs are just not needed in most hacks.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks for the response Neil. Perhaps the two in the back, the hdd, and front speaker bracket would be more than enough.

Normally we have fans already on the CPU cooler, in the PSU and internal to the GPU. In a large open G5 PM case, the case acts as a heat sink. You can test to see in additional fan make a difference. And you are correct, the two at the back are the most logical to keep and have an impact on cooling.

Good modding,
neil

I want to mention that many people install way too many fans in G5 Power Mac cases. Back in the day the CPUs and GPUs generated much more heat then the current technology available. This also goes for PSUs... High powered PSUs are just not needed in most hacks.

neil

+1

High powered PSUs are just not needed in most hacks.
Computer companies want you to believe you need way more power then u actually need. Even SLI/overclocking/watercooled system, I rock a 750 watt. I also recommend 4 pin connectors for better fan control. I do agree with you in most situations with too many fans but, their are some exceptions and certain situations like more fans that are controlled lead to less noise, or for pure esthetics, or in my case both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back