Contribute
Register

4K Monitor Support in OS X 10.9.3 - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you tell me if you are using Chameleon or Clover?

Would you please tell me what is the

ProductName
Board-ID
SerialNumber (just copy the first 4 characters and the last 4 characters please, mask the rest)

I was playing with Clover and when I selected MacPro6,1 instead of MacBook Air, it was working better.

However, the machine would reboot randomly when I would power it on, so I didn't consider it a stable solution

Right now I have the Samsung U32D970Q, a better monitor

Sorry, I made this build for a friend that lives abroad, but maybe I can try and get the info from him. I was using Chimera/Chameleon and MacPro6,1. One thing I also did was replace the stock DP cable that acer shipped with the screen, because it gave me all kind of flickering and ****. Solved it with a new cable though.

I also have the same display, and haven't found a solution for your second question. Another problem I have is that when the computer wakes from sleep or even if it has just put the display to sleep, the monitor won't get a signal. I have to unplug the DP cable from the computer and put it back in to get a signal. This happens both with OS X default drivers and the latest NVidia web driver. I'm running OS X 10.10.1. Any solutions?[/QUOTE]

I have the same monitor (B326HK) and it works great except for
wake from sleep. I spoke to Acer tech support today and was appalled to find out that they only test their monitors on peecees. They couldn't care less that the monitor doesn't work correctly on a Mac. That guy actually told me to go into settings and turn off sleep!! That is Acer's solution to the problem of no wake from sleep.

What a bunch of garbage.

For what its worth, the Samsung U28D590 seems to default to the same settings as the Dell UP2414Q in OS X 10.9.3 (but without the need of setting MST options in the monitors menu system).

Under "System Preferences > Displays > Resolution > Best for Display" the default seems to be 1920x1080 HiDPI. Under the Scaled option, there is no native 3840x2160 option to choose from. However, native 3840x2160 can be set using a utility like "Display Menu" or "Resolution Tab".

Hey Octavean,

I recently upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite now successfully.
I have found 1 caveat though and its at boot-up with Yosemite. I have not experienced this ever with Mavericks. See video clip i recorded.

[video]https://youtu.be/qJR5wmYGYh8[/video]

At boot-up, the screen resolution (i.e. desktop) scales up quickly from what seems 1080p to 4K as I have this scaled to max in the display properties. The default setting sets it to 1080p (HiDIP i think). Anyway, I just wanted to ask you if you also run into this issue ? If so have you managed to remedy this?

p.s. I am running my Mac5,1 profile instead of a 6,1 as I have 2 GTX780 cards running.

Thanks!
Cronik

I'like to add one more UHD monitor: the LG 27MU67. IPS panel, HDMI 2.0, affordable. Working fine in Yosemite (10.10.5) out of my GTX960 in a core2duo!. I recommend it.

Hi all,

Just wanted to add a reference to the Philips - BDM4065UC - 4k - 40 inch monitor.
It is hooked up on displayport-to-displayport cable to a GTX970.
I am running Yosemite 10.10.5 - check my other post for details of my build.

The monitor defaults to Displayport 1.1 and 30Hz but a few minutes in the OSD and settings put to Displayport 1.2 and it is all good !

I have tried and everything works fine at 1920x1080 HiDPI but given the size of the screen, I can easily run 4k as shown on the attached screenshot.
I used to have 2 x 24inch Dell WHFQ2407 (yes from 8 years ago..), decided to keep one only next to the 4k 40inch and it looks tiny but useful for screen sharing app and Finder as the latter looks very small on 4k ;-)

Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 3.14.21 PM.png

Hope that helps !

Hi all,

Just wanted to add a reference to the Philips - BDM4065UC - 4k - 40 inch monitor.
It is hooked up on displayport-to-displayport cable to a GTX970.
I am running Yosemite 10.10.5 - check my other post for details of my build.

The monitor defaults to Displayport 1.1 and 30Hz but a few minutes in the OSD and settings put to Displayport 1.2 and it is all good !

I have tried and everything works fine at 1920x1080 HiDPI but given the size of the screen, I can easily run 4k as shown on the attached screenshot.
I used to have 2 x 24inch Dell WHFQ2407 (yes from 8 years ago..), decided to keep one only next to the 4k 40inch and it looks tiny but useful for screen sharing app and Finder as the latter looks very small on 4k ;-)

View attachment 166355

Hope that helps !

I bought this display a couple of weeks ago and it fantastic in OS X and Windows. I'm using a Gigabyte GTX960 2gb in Yosemite. I haven't risked upgrading to El Capitan yet though.

I bought this display a couple of weeks ago and it fantastic in OS X and Windows. I'm using a Gigabyte GTX960 2gb in Yosemite. I haven't risked upgrading to El Capitan yet though.

Indeed it is what I consider as correct size for a proper 4k screen... A bit off topic but tried it to play GTA V with Pinnacle mod and this is very sharp...

People having such a screen will welcome something like Spectacle, to easily resize windows and move them on the huge real estate the monitor provides.

Alternative to Spectacle are:
Moom
Divvy
BetterSnapTool - on the app store
FlexiGlass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back