ASUS ROG STRIX z390 e-gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi guys!

So I successfully updated to 10.12.4 and installed the driver to use my GTX 1080 and it is incredible! However, and old issue has returned for me..... I am now not able to get 60hz at 4k resolution. I actually can not get 60Hz at anything over 1080p. Before upgrading to 10.12.4 and putting my 1080 in, I was using a GTX 970 and I used mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2-master and SwitchResX to get 4k at 60Hz. Now that is not working.

mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2 can be found here: https://github.com/Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2

When I go to install IOKit-patcher .command in terminal I get this message:

===

SIP looks to be disabled, all good!

Unknown version of IOKit found..

---- BEGINNING MD5 HASH SUMS ---- version: 10.12.4 build:16E195

otool IOKit: 1d7cad2b20cb12935924b88b12b34468

otool IOKit.bak: NO FILE (this is okay)

IOKit: c2ef51e081e96070c5910d4906fdd19f

IOKit.bak: NO FILE (this is okay)

---- ENDING MD5 HASH SUMS -------

===

If I run NVIDIA-patcher.command I get:

===

SIP looks to be disabled, all good!

Unknown version of the Nvidia driver found..

---- BEGINNING MD5 HASH SUMS ---- version: 10.12.4 build:16E195

NVDAGK100Hal: 854f208dd8cefac09b5123f29b1f95de

NVDAGK100Hal.bak: NO FILE (this is okay)

---- ENDING MD5 HASH SUMS -------

===

After reading through a lot of forums I came across something indicating that my GPU might need to be manually added but I can not find any information on how to do this. Any ideas?

The TV I am trying to get set up is a Insignia Model: ns43dr710na17 – And I did confirm it is 4k @ 60Hz compatible by contacting the manufacturer and checking my manual. And also the fact that I was using it at 4k 60Hz on my GTX 970 before upgrading to a 1080. I am also using a heavy duty HDMI cable that supports up to 120Hz at 4k.

My specs:
OS X 10.12.4
GPU: GTX 1080
Motherboard: msi gaming m7 z170a
64GB DDR 4
1tb Solid State Drive
CPU: Intel i7 6700 4.0ghz Skylake

What other information can I provide that might help?

I think the issue is in 10.12.4 with hdmi.

I had the same problem and fixed it by using a display port to hdmi adapter.

After that I was able to set uhd mode on my TV and enable 4k@60. Although I need to scale down to 1440p to see anything but also has 60hz.

Before that, I had to disable uhd mode and can only still get 1080p 60hz only. Everything after that I was limited to 30hz.

Since the adapter everything is all good

OS X doesn't support HDMI 2.0. Enabling it with the Pixel Clock patch is hit-and-miss, the only reliable solution is using an active DP1.2 to HDMI2.0 adapter.

Two words...

Amazon Prime...

I put in a order for a DP1.2 to HDMI2.0 adapter. Should be here by monday.

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys this has solved my issues just tried a 1.2 dp to hdmi 1.4b on a 1.4 port and it works!!!!!!

ordered a dp 1.2 to hdmi 2.0 from amazon.

will be here tuesday :(

This should resolve if i hook it up to the hdmi 2.0 port on my tv will post an update, this should really be documented!!!!!!!!!

BLACK screen (don't use hdmi, use dp 1.2 adapter to hdmi 2.0 on a 4k port)

Hey, I just ordered a dp 1.2 to cdmi 2.0 from amazon as well, but still can't get it to work properly. It works fine in Windows, but picks up no display in OS X. Is there an edit you had to make or anything?

Nope I have set it to iMac 17,2 as it's a skylark 6700 build, I tried agdpfix appieid and everything not sure if that did actually fix it now.... also try different display ports on your card as only the first display port worked properly for me. Now have a 4K mac but weirdly get blue flickering sometimes.... not often any ideas anyone?

here's how i got passed 30hz in 4k on my Sierra hackintosh.

tl;dr - I upgraded the firmware on my CAC-1070 DP/HDMI converter, installed switchresx, defined a custom resolution @ 60hz, then (most importantly) turned my 4k screen off and on

my setup:
hackintosh Sierra 10.12.6
geforce gtx 1070 - most updated web drivers (378.05.05.25f04)
primary display - Sceptre U425CV-UMC (budget 4k), connected via CAC-1070 DP/HDMI adapter
secondary display - Lenovo LI2364D, connected via HDMI

so I've been struggling getting 2560x1440 @ 60hz. Everythime i tried anything over 1080, my main screen would generally just go blank and become unusable even after reboots. i'd have to wipe display plists and/or shuffle around hdmi connectors & ports on the back of the computer. It worked fine in Windows, so it just didn't make any sense why it didn't on my mac install.....

After much frustration, trial and error, this is what finally worked for me

0. modify SMBIOS to have the OS (snowflake warning) self-identify as an iMac17,1 (not sure if this step is even necessary)

1. upgraded the firmware on the cac-1070 connector. follow instructions here
http://insights.club-3d.com/thread/cac-1070-firmware-download/

2. install switchresx; do not reboot. load up a custom resolution of 3840x2160 using the 'simplified settings' of CVT-RB. if the scan rate doesn't auto-populate, manually enter 60hz. save settings. reboot.

3. so after this reboot, my primary display went completely dark and the OS didn't even recognize it. the simplest yet most important step comes here. turn off / turn on the display. it was recognized by the OS at the default 4k / 30hz, so i then switched to the 4k/60hz custom setting in switchresx. from there i repeated step 2 to implement 2560x1440 @ 60hz.

4. Done, son.

so now, the only thing that's a bit annoying is that i have to turn off / turn on the display every time i boot into the hackintosh. The OS still has a hard time seeing the 4k display even from a cold boot. a little strange but at this point, i'll take it.

anyway, hope this helps others who have been struggling with the same....now if you'll excuse me, i'm leaving to bask in the 4k/60hz glory....

I love reading about people saying "Well it works in Windows"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back