Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello!
I am going to build my first Hackintosh and I am very excited about it. I have looked at some of the Hackintoshes on the forum and came up with this components, but now the question is will it work?
If somebody can tell me that, or if somebody have some tips, or maybe I totally forgot something, I really appreciate it if you guys can help me out!

I have the following components in my mind:
  • Gigabyte X99-UD4 MOTHERBOARD
  • Intel core i7 5820K CPU
  • Corsair hydro H110 CPU COOLER
  • 2X (Dual) Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 WindForce GPU
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DIMM DDR4 2666 RAM
  • Corsair RM750 PSU
  • Corsair Obsidian 750D TOWER
  • Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Boot Disk)
  • 2x (dual) Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD (Storage and backup disks)

I have the following accessories in my mind:
  • 2x (Dual) Samsung LU28D590DS 4K monitor
  • Apple wireless keyboard
  • Apple magic Mouse
I edit with adobe premiere pro and after effects. I also use davinci resolve for color grading. I think this must be a good machine for this tasks. It is not my work, if it was my work I had bought a Mac Pro. But because it is my hobby and I like to do things myself, this is a ideal project for me.
The only thing I need to know if is this possible, before I click the button to order parts for 3722 euros. Most of the stuff comes from the project of Colton328 on this site (see here his topic: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...x-gtx-970-ga-x99-ud4-yosemite-hackintosh.html)but I made some changes with components from other projects because I can't get everything here in the Netherlands, so my question is, will this work? If it works I will post pictures of the building and the results and of course the geek bench scores.

Thank you in advance and I hope to hear from you guys!

Last edited:
Hi, i'm myself working on a 4k raw editing capable hackintosh. I'll not comment the "hackintoshability" of the hardware you choose because i'm not an expert myself but i can say that 16Go of ram is not enough for 4k editing, you will need at least 32Go. If you go with two graphic card maybe you should take a bigger PSU like 1000W. In my opinion save some money and go for a gtx 980 and more ram.

Hi, thank you really much for commenting!
I think you have a very good point about the gpu and ram, so I think I am going to change it to the following:

• Gigabyte X99-UD4 MOTHERBOARD
  • Intel core i7 5820K CPU
  • Corsair hydro H110 CPU COOLER
  • Gigabyte GTX 980 OC GPU
  • 4x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM (Total of 32)
  • Corsair RM750 PSU
  • Corsair Obsidian 750D TOWER
  • Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Boot Disk)
  • 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD (Storage and backup disks)
The point with the ram is that DDR4 RAM is still very expensive, I think that when it is cheaper I throw this ram out f it and throw in a new 64GB kit, but that is for the future. I don't even have the machine yet. I think that I now have a pretty big change to make a ideal hackintosh for my needs. I would love to hear some more tips and taughts on my machine before I build it! Sonax thank you very much for the great advice!

I would really advise against an X99 system for your first Hackintosh. Since Apple doesn't have any X99-based systems, OS X will not work without patching the kernel, which adds a layer of complication you probably don't want.

A Core i7-4790K is your best bet, really, unless you're brave. Have you searched for threads here on Hadwell-E / X99 based systems?

Hi again :D

Your config start to looks good, the only thing that bugs me now is that for 4k editing (online editing off course), you need not only good performance from your CPU,GPU,Ram but also a very high disk speed. With your actual config you may encounter some "lag" because your HDD will not be fast enough, your PC will wait your HDD to deliver the data he needs. I think that you should consider spend a little more money in one or two HDD an create a raid 5 (this needs at least 4 disk but it's the best option imo, for speed and security) or at least a raid 0. Not to mention that you will need a lot of space and your actual 3To will be full very fast. If you don't have the money at least raid the two disk already present in your actual config and buy an other later for backup if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back