Contribute
Register

4770k with Vega RX 64, GA-Z877X-UD7TH

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I received the Active adapters today...No Luck ;( Just black screens. RX64 just does the usual "Go into full power mode"
Sorry I have done everything I can think of.

Have you tried with a fresh install? Maybe if you’ve been doing all these changes something became corrupted. All it takes is one 0 to be turned into a 1 and the kext can break. Also, rebuilding caches after major changes or tweaks is important if you forget it can also render a kext useless. It may be worth it to try a fresh install

Thanks for trying everything Pavo and Gigamaxx. Your help was greatly appreciated. I will have a fresh look at upgrading the whole machine soon. ;)

So, I just worked it out. Well, sort of. I had to downgrade my BIOS to f4 and then I was able to go a lot further.
It turns out that it is my HighPoint 2720SGL RAID card. When I remove the card, my 2 Cinema Displays pop up and work fine! When the RAID card is inserted, the system starts up, but the 2 screens remain black. So, I will delve into how to sort out the 2720SGL RAID card to work with my system.

The only issue I have, is when I shut down, the computer restarts instead of shutting down.
I'm getting closer...

PS: The active adapters didn't work so I sent them back.

So, I just worked it out. Well, sort of. I had to downgrade my BIOS to f4 and then I was able to go a lot further.
It turns out that it is my HighPoint 2720SGL RAID card. When I remove the card, my 2 Cinema Displays pop up and work fine! When the RAID card is inserted, the system starts up, but the 2 screens remain black. So, I will delve into how to sort out the 2720SGL RAID card to work with my system.

The only issue I have, is when I shut down, the computer restarts instead of shutting down.
I'm getting closer...

Is it using a PCIE slot? It may be splitting your lane width below 16,8 lanes for the RX.

Is it using a PCIE slot? It may be splitting your lane width below 16,8 lanes for the RX.
Yes, the RAID card uses a PCIE slot. I will move the cards around to see if that helps.

I'm getting closer...

What PCIe cards do you have in what PCIe slots? From top to bottom?
From your motherboards manual:
Code:
o 3 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1~3)

* For optimum performance, if only one expansion card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_2 slot.

o 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1~2)

* The PCIEX8_1 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 slot and the PCIEX8_2 slot with PCIEX16_3. The PCIEX16_1/PCIEX16_3 slot will
operate at up to x8 mode when the PCIEX8_1/PCIEX8_2 is populated. (All PCI Express x16 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)

* The PCIEX16_2 slot will become unavailable when either of the PCIEX16_1, PCIEX16_3, PCIEX8_1, and PCIEX8_2 slots is populated.

o 2 x PCI Express x1 slots
(The PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

Last edited:
What PCIe cards do you have in what PCIe slots? From top to bottom?
From your motherboards manual:
Code:
o 3 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1~3)

* For optimum performance, if only one expansion card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_2 slot.

o 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1~2)

* The PCIEX8_1 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 slot and the PCIEX8_2 slot with PCIEX16_3. The PCIEX16_1/PCIEX16_3 slot will
operate at up to x8 mode when the PCIEX8_1/PCIEX8_2 is populated. (All PCI Express x16 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)

* The PCIEX16_2 slot will become unavailable when either of the PCIEX16_1, PCIEX16_3, PCIEX8_1, and PCIEX8_2 slots is populated.

o 2 x PCI Express x1 slots
(The PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
I have the RX Vega in the top slot, and the RAID card in the bottom PCIEX8_2 slot. I have tried moving the RAID card to third and 5th slot. No luck on any. I have a 850W power supply also.

Last edited:
I have the RX Vega in the top slot, and the RAID card in the bottom PCIEX8_2 slot. I have tried moving the RAID card to third and 5th slot. No luck on any. I have a 850W power supply also.
Try putting Vega 64 in PCIEX16_1 (Top Slot/1st Slot) and the HighPoint Raid card in PCIEX16_3 (4th Slot), that should allow you to use both PCIe cards at full link speed and not conflict each others IRQ.
Screenshot-2018-12-23-15-54-50.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-12-23 15.54.50.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-23 15.54.50.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 60
Try putting Vega 64 in PCIEX16_1 (Top Slot/1st Slot) and the HighPoint Raid card in PCIEX16_3 (4th Slot), that should allow you to use both PCIe cards at full link speed and not conflict each others IRQ.

Screenshot-2018-12-23-15-54-50.png

Attachments

• IMG_7549.JPG
    IMG_7549.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7547.JPG
    IMG_7547.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7545.JPG
    IMG_7545.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
Status