Contribute
Register

4770k OC OVER 4.3 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you find the Chameleon file to edit?

Easiest hing to do is download the Chameleon wizard. It will find and open the file for you. Edit and save. Restart and all should be good.

I got around to trying this now, it worked great to disable the cstates/pstates - thanks again for the tip! I get 4.6 GHz stable, I have tried 4.7 but I get random hangs with that :(. That's really too bad, as 4.7 would allow me to up the memory speed from 1866 to 2133MHz (through XMP profiles, I don't really know that much about overclocking to set clock speeds/timing/voltage manually to reach 2133).

My CPU is watercooled and at 4.6 it runs very cool (topped out at about 65 degrees under load), so heat doesn't seem to be the issue. Anyone have a good suggestion how to push it up to 4.7?

If you want to go further you need to slighly increase the CPU Vcore on the motherboard settings.
Go for it step by step. I was able to reach 5Ghz at 1.48 V for Vcore but i came back at 4.3 Ghz at 1.25 V for 24/7 operating.

Found out how to display speedsteps under OSX.
How do you guys check your OC. If I run AIDA's torture test on windows side my temps are topping at about 70°C. If i run Prime95's small FFT they shoot up over 90°C....

p_states.png

I've got mine overclocked to 4.5ghz. I was capped at 4.3ghz and couldn't go over that until I edited the org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>No</string>

Those were set to yes, so I just changed their values to No.
I think it has to do with the Generate CPU States option in multibeast.

Does removing generate C and P states mean that my 4770K will always be running at max? Wonder if you've tested if your CPU is still throttling down like it should?

If anyones interested, I added an EVGA mITX cooler this weekend and it's cooling my 4770K on air. Funnily enough my Vcore is set really low: 1.145V. And is supporting my chip at 4400 so far very well. Increasing my vcore over 1.2 sent the temps up higher than 80c and I'm trying to stay below that. Just goes to show how different every chip of these can be. Testing it the only way to check.

EDIT: I was getting CPU bottleneck problems while playing BF4 and decided to try and up my voltage to 1.2. CPU is now behaving like it should. Seems that although my stress testing in AIDA64 was working just fine, the real world usage didn't support the evidence that 1.145 was stable. I'll post my OC results soon.

Could some of those who have stability over 4.3GHz post your settings? I'm just curious to see how others are obtaining speeds higher than 4.3 as I can't get my 4770K stable any higher than that. Also, if you wouldn't mind posting your cooling setup as well that'd be very helpful.

Could some of those who have stability over 4.3GHz post your settings? I'm just curious to see how others are obtaining speeds higher than 4.3 as I can't get my 4770K stable any higher than that. Also, if you wouldn't mind posting your cooling setup as well that'd be very helpful.

CPU Multiplier: 44x
CPU VRIN Override LLC: Set to Extreme (this is to make sure VIN doesn’t droop)
VCore: 1.2
VIN Override: 1.8 (but had on auto and was fine too)
PWM Phase Management: Extreme
Uncore Multiplier: 40x
Ring Voltage: 1.15
BCLK: Auto
Turbo: Auto
C1E, C3, C6/C7, and EIST: All Disabled

RAM: XMP profile 1 at 1600mHz

Cooler:
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Sleeve-Direct-Socket-100-FS-C901-KR/dp/B00FS6O20A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394040571&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+mitx+cpu+cooler

NOTE: Every Haswell chip is SO different that one solution does not fit all, you should do some reading to know what you're changing and how it's working. This is a pretty good article:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

I have tried AIDA64, Prime 95 and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to test. Personally I don't like what the Aida64 FPU only test or Prime 95 do to my system, heat is EXTREME and the real world scenario of that happening to your CPU is extremely low. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility was built to test Haswell and it pushes the chip enough for my liking. AIDA64 FPU only and Prime95 (30.1?) both produced heat between 90-98c after 60 seconds, at which point I pulled the plug :)

I've managed to keep my max temps in AIDA64 CPU, FPU & cache (simultaneous test) and in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Stress Test under 80-85c. Idle is around 38c with all power functions disabled, so running at full voltage and 4400mHz with zero load.

Real world: Playing BF4 and running multiple apps in the background my CPU never goes above 67c.

You'll have to place your own value on which tests you want your CPU to pass.

Geekbench 64 Mac OS test went from around 15300--->17800.

I'm going to double check tonight but here are the values I remember using:

CPU Multiplier: 44x
CPU VRIN Override LLC: Set to Extreme (this is to make sure VIN doesn’t droop)
VCore: 1.2
Ring Voltage: 1.15
BCLK: Auto
Turbo: Auto
C1E, C3, C6/C7, and EIST: All Disabled

RAM: XMP profile 1 at 1600mHz

Cooler:
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Sleeve-Direct-Socket-100-FS-C901-KR/dp/B00FS6O20A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394040571&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+mitx+cpu+cooler

NOTE: Every Haswell chip is SO different that one solution does not fit all, you should do some reading to know what you're changing and how it's working. This is a pretty good article:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

I have tried AIDA64, Prime 95 and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to test. Personally I don't like what the Aida64 FPU only test or Prime 95 do to my system, heat is EXTREME and the real world scenario of that happening to your CPU is extremely low. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility was built to test Haswell and it pushes the chip enough for my liking. AIDA64 FPU only and Prime95 (30.1?) both produced heat between 90-98c after 60 seconds, at which point I pulled the plug :)

I've managed to keep my max temps in AIDA64 CPU, FPU & cache (simultaneous test) and in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Stress Test under 80-85c. Idle is around 38c with all power functions disabled, so running at full voltage and 4400mHz with zero load.

Real world: Playing BF4 and running multiple apps in the background my CPU never goes above 67c.

You'll have to place your own value on which tests you want your CPU to pass.

Geekbench 64 Mac OS test went from around 15300--->17800.

Thanks for the info p0ttz, that link from overclock.net was the first thing I read about how to overclock and was a good read. I also read a lot about the 4770k's varying greatly with the amount you could push them, and was just trying to see how far mine would go before stability become a concern. I'm going to play with mine a little more tonight and see what I can get. Your settings look close to what mine are at, but will be a good reference for me to double check with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back