Contribute
Register

4740s: ML install, screen black, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 4740s
CPU
i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (Ivy Bridge-MB PGA SV)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge GT2), Radeon (not disabled)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I went through Snow Leopard, bought Mountain Lion and used UniBeastcreated to create the USB Stick for install. Tried many boot flags, but the best I get is a black screen a while after the display font changes (i always used -v). Last thing to be seen (had to film the screen, was to fast, sorry for bad quality) is a line givng a MAC adress, see pic. then the screen goes black and I'm stuck. What do I miss?
Thx a ton Bild 2.jpg
dg

So I went through Snow Leopard, bought Mountain Lion and used UniBeastcreated to create the USB Stick for install. Tried many boot flags, but the best I get is a black screen a while after the display font changes (i always used -v). Last thing to be seen (had to film the screen, was to fast, sorry for bad quality) is a line givng a MAC adress, see pic. then the screen goes black and I'm stuck. What do I miss?
Thx a tonView attachment 46446
dg

Most likely, your laptop needs dual-link patch because of the screen size. Latest beta Installer 6.1 has "starter" dsdt. Please place it in /Extra folder on USB drive and try again.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/87816-hp-probook-installer-6-1-beta-ivy-bridge-support.html

Attachments

• IB.1080p.DSDT.aml.zip
    46.8 KB · Views: 92
Thanks, BigDonkey, that helped.

I can reach the installer, but the image is funny:

2004-01-01 15-24-45.JPG

The window of disk utility can be moved and I used it to erase/format the destination partition. First try, booting with GraphicsEnabler=0 resulted in a "POSIX report" saying it was "not permitted". After reboot without that flag erasing worked.

The Installer Window can't be moved. I semi-blind tabbed/spacebarred through the partly invisible fields and buttons and managed to go through to the final desktop.

2004-01-01 16-05-56.JPG

AFter unplugging and replugging the install stick, keyboard (internal & external), mouse and trackpad were dead.

Would it be useful to copy the full Extra from Probookinstaller to the install stick?
dg

Thanks, BigDonkey, that helped.

I can reach the installer, but the image is funny:

View attachment 46453

The window of disk utility can be moved and I used it to erase/format the destination partition. First try, booting with GraphicsEnabler=0 resulted in a "POSIX report" saying it was "not permitted". After reboot without that flag erasing worked.

The Installer Window can't be moved. I semi-blind tabbed/spacebarred through the partly invisible fields and buttons and managed to go through to the final desktop.

View attachment 46454

AFter unplugging and replugging the install stick, keyboard (internal & external), mouse and trackpad were dead.

Would it be useful to copy the full Extra from Probookinstaller to the install stick?
dg

What resolution is the screen?

1600 x 900

I was hoping it would be the lower res version... But you could try anyway...

I see some people using APPL00,DualLink with first byte 0x00 instead of 0x01. You could try it. Open your DSDT in MaciASL, search for AAPL00, then change the first byte in the Buffer that follows from 0x01 to 0x00. It is a random shot in the dark and probably won't work, but I thought I'd mention it. It would be nice if we knew what these values actually meant, but I don't think we do...

Will try ASAP. Humungous Thanks!
dg

Will do.
AFK for a while. Thx!
dg

New try to get 1600x900 working:

I have created a diff from Probookinstaller 6.1b DSDT Ivy IB 1080.aml and DSDT Ivy IB std.aml to find the dual link code (attached). Inserted that in my native dls, compiled, copied aml to /Extra/ of ML installer stick, run it. Same result: only left half of desktop on display. :cry:

Read some about EDID, tried SwitchResX to extract EDIT but got only a fake EDIT. Tried the script by philip_petev but am confused about what to do now. My original DSL is attached.

Please help.
dg

View attachment 1080 Diff.txt.zip
View attachment Output.zip
View attachment dsdt_4740s_1600x900_ORIG.dsl.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back