Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

Currently running Snow Leopard (I know, old) on my 4730s. Just got it stable yesterday, everything is great except Sleeping and Wifi. I kind of give up on sleep, I don't really care, wifi is a problem though. The laptop came with a ar5b195, I read that with some tinkering it can be put into commission on OSX. Found some old guide from 2009 and installed kexts Apple80211Monitor.bundle and IO80211Family_3.0.kextd. Didn't work.

I then ordered an AR9280 AR5BHB92, I read this card should work inside the probook models. Turns out, it doesn't (At least on the 4730s), Bios whitelist stops it. I'm kind of stuck now, should I continue tinkering with the AR5B195, maybe somebody could help me find the proper kexts? Did I order the wrong AR9280, do I need one straight from hp?

Bios Revision F.41

Hello,

Currently running Snow Leopard (I know, old) on my 4730s. Just got it stable yesterday, everything is great except Sleeping and Wifi. I kind of give up on sleep, I don't really care, wifi is a problem though. The laptop came with a ar5b195, I read that with some tinkering it can be put into commission on OSX. Found some old guide from 2009 and installed kexts Apple80211Monitor.bundle and IO80211Family_3.0.kextd. Didn't work.

I then ordered an AR9280 AR5BHB92, I read this card should work inside the probook models. Turns out, it doesn't (At least on the 4730s), Bios whitelist stops it. I'm kind of stuck now, should I continue tinkering with the AR5B195, maybe somebody could help me find the proper kexts? Did I order the wrong AR9280, do I need one straight from hp?

Bios Revision F.41

See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-to-installing-snow-leopard-on-hp-probook.78905/

This is the guide I used, the version of probook installer you linked to in the actual guide didn't work on Snow Leopard. I probably downloaded too new of a version. Tried installing some older versions (I think version 4 and 5). Got most of the kexts and fixes from version 4 but I think my DSDT could be patched incorrectly?

Note for WiFi: You must have Atheros for it to work. If you don't you should consider replacing the mini-PCI card that provides WiFi.
In theory, both of my cards should work, correct?

Maybe I need to boot into Windows or Ubuntu live CD so the card will enable? I already taped the pin off and that didn't seem to work.

Last edited:
This is the guide I used, the version of probook installer you linked to in the actual guide didn't work on Snow Leopard. I probably downloaded too new of a version. Tried installing some older versions (I think version 4 and 5). Got most of the kexts and fixes from version 4 but I think my DSDT could be patched incorrectly?

In theory, both of my cards should work, correct?

Maybe I need to boot into Windows or Ubuntu live CD so the card will enable? I already taped the pin off and that didn't seem to work.

The new hotpatch guide also supports SL with a tweak to the makefile (read the relevant comment within)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/

Both AR9285 and AR9280 will work (using ProbookAtheros.kext).

The new hotpatch guide also supports SL with a tweak to the makefile (read the relevant comment within)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/

Both AR9285 and AR9280 will work (using ProbookAtheros.kext).
That thread has 674 pages. I used the search thread function for "makefile", "snowleopard", "snow leopard makefile" and was given over 30 responses that were completely unhelpful. Could you please point me in the right direction? Also, I am booting with Chimera currently, I should probably just wipe clean and reinstall using the guide you linked and Clover.

I loaded in ProbookAtheros.kext and still no wifi.

Last edited:
That thread has 674 pages. I used the search thread function for "makefile", "snowleopard", "snow leopard makefile" and was given over 30 responses that were completely unhelpful. Could you please point me in the right direction? Also, I am booting with Chimera currently, I should probably just wipe clean and reinstall using the guide you linked and Clover.

Look in the makefile that is checked into the github project.
A simple Find for text "Snow Leopard" in that file will tell you what needs to change for Snow Leopard support of the generated AML files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back