EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Gearing up to do my G4 cube build, got a shell of one, everything but the hardware itself. Great condition other than a chip on the top corner. My only concern is the PSU, I'm planning on getting a 150-160w picopsu but since that won't be enough for the GPU as well, I'm trying to see if there's a GPU only power supply. External AC to DC converter and then a DC to DC converter inside of it maybe? Is there anything like this? Thanks!

There are some other "pico PSUS" that have a little more power (up to 500W). However, they aren't made by Mini-Box, but by a company by the name of "Pico-Box" on Aliexpress. Note: I haven't tried them yet, so I can't say anything about their reliability. Purchase at your own risk!

Good luck with your build!

Gearing up to do my G4 cube build, got a shell of one, everything but the hardware itself. Great condition other than a chip on the top corner. My only concern is the PSU, I'm planning on getting a 150-160w picopsu but since that won't be enough for the GPU as well, I'm trying to see if there's a GPU only power supply. External AC to DC converter and then a DC to DC converter inside of it maybe? Is there anything like this? Thanks!
After using my cube for about a week now, i7-6700T and GTX 950 (75w). The cube gets pretty hot and loud at full load. Both get up to about 50-60c with 115W power draw. I would definitely choose a lower TDP Core i5 or i7. Low power Haswells go pretty cheap. The 970 also would get uncomfortably hot. I recommend a GTX 960 or 1060 (whenever the supported drivers are released)

After using my cube for about a week now, i7-6700T and GTX 950 (75w). The cube gets pretty hot and loud at full load. Both get up to about 50-60c with 115W power draw. I would definitely choose a lower TDP Core i5 or i7. Low power Haswells go pretty cheap. The 970 also would get uncomfortably hot. I recommend a GTX 960 or 1060 (whenever the supported drivers are released)
Just curious, what pushes the Cube to "full load?" I might have to rethink my build...

As Kungpao said, there are a few different 'pico' PSU's on AlliExpress ranging from 100W - 500W. The 500W takes two external 250W wall warts to create enough power since you'd be hard pressed to find a 500W external power brick.

Keep efficiency in mind when buying your power supply as an extra 25W of heat from your PSU may not sound like much but in a small space it means a lot! Check out Hd-plex.com. They have some passively cooled PSU's that may meet your needs.

I'm planning to use their 250W model.

Just curious, what pushes the Cube to "full load?" I might have to rethink my build...
I use bitcoin mining to stress out my build. In Fallout 4 I usually pull about 105W and they get up in the low 50 degrees

I'm planning a G4 Cube mod next year and got plans for it for years, but I do not got any experience with it, so be careful with my ideas ;)
I would use a i3-6300 with 2 cores and 4 threads and a 1050 (Ti) without 6-pin, only PCI-power. This is possible with standart 150w pico-psu. You can find a lot of informations for these and it's cheap.
Another option would be a low-power i7 or i5 and a GTX 1060 (RX 470 is also a good option, espacially with a FreeSync-monitor). There you need a psu from above mentioned hd-plex wich are a bit bigger. And you have to deal with more TDP.
Because I never had a G4 cube (and can't find a good used one for a reasonable price...), I'm not able to guess/measure the space. But for the GPU I would use a arctic accelero S1, wich will be a bit small on the GTX 1060 or RX 470. For CPU there are a lot of Mini-ITX coolers wich can be used. But a important point is the airflow. I would try to let every fan blast upward. I saw many mods here with Intel boxed coolers and a fan blowing sideways, wich is not as good as helping the warm air to move upwards. So you need a PCIe-expansion-cable and install 2-4 60-80mm fans on top and buttom of the accelero S1 and the Mini-ITX CPU-cooler.
Edit: I'm not up to date in hackintosh, so I don't know if GTX 10x0 and RX 4x0 are supported on Mac/Hack OS. Also the cards are limited in their lenght, I remember 17 cm from one old post, so be careful at ordering ;)
And to get my idea of airflow for the cube on point: hotizontal heatpipes, vertical lamella

Last edited:
GTX10x0 are not supported at this time.

I'm planning a G4 Cube mod next year and got plans for it for years, but I do not got any experience with it, so be careful with my ideas ;)
I would use a i3-6300 with 2 cores and 4 threads and a 1050 (Ti) without 6-pin, only PCI-power. This is possible with standart 150w pico-psu. You can find a lot of informations for these and it's cheap.
Another option would be a low-power i7 or i5 and a GTX 1060 (RX 470 is also a good option, espacially with a FreeSync-monitor). There you need a psu from above mentioned hd-plex wich are a bit bigger. And you have to deal with more TDP.
Because I never had a G4 cube (and can't find a good used one for a reasonable price...), I'm not able to guess/measure the space. But for the GPU I would use a arctic accelero S1, wich will be a bit small on the GTX 1060 or RX 470. For CPU there are a lot of Mini-ITX coolers wich can be used. But a important point is the airflow. I would try to let every fan blast upward. I saw many mods here with Intel boxed coolers and a fan blowing sideways, wich is not as good as helping the warm air to move upwards. So you need a PCIe-expansion-cable and install 2-4 60-80mm fans on top and buttom of the accelero S1 and the Mini-ITX CPU-cooler.
Edit: I'm not up to date in hackintosh, so I don't know if GTX 10x0 and RX 4x0 are supported on Mac/Hack OS. Also the cards are limited in their lenght, I remember 17 cm from one old post, so be careful at ordering ;)
And to get my idea of airflow for the cube on point: hotizontal heatpipes, vertical lamella

Would love your input on my cube as well :D https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...e-power-mac-g4-cube-build-come-help-d.212067/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back