Contribute
Register

4540S LCD Screen (1080p replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people!

After 4 years happily using my 4540S, i7, Ivy with El Capitan 10,11,3 (currently)...

I´ve been using this laptop mainly for music production (a very powerful machine!). I´ve been upgrading it with 8gb Ram (and wishing to try the 16gb, since I´ve read that some people have had success with it), 512gb samsung SSD, 3TB seagate HD for data... and now I´m getting into the video editing, motion graphics world. I´ve been doing some jobs for Daimler, and it happens that this is one of the worst screens I´ve ever seen. When I have to do some color grading, I feel obligued to connect to an external monitor via HDMI (my Samsung Led TV happens to be quite valuable for this) or even in an ipad, which has a very decent gamut and contrast.

I´ve read about these b156hw01 v4 screens and been looking for an original one, avoiding those ebay scammers who write in tiny letters "compatible one will be shipped if the exact part number is out of stock". And this week I´ve finally had luck and a US seller has shipped one for me, brand new but without original box, for just 50 euros. I´ve also purchased the dual link LVDS cable (this thread has been very helpful)

I´ll go straight to the point, my situation is this:

I´ve got this El Capitan 10.11.3, my hack was based in Clover, and as soon as I receive that screen I´m going to try to install it.

For what I´ve read in this forum, I should "repatch the DSDT", and it looks like it´s better if I do that before installing the screen.

The problem is that I´ve forgotton how I got this hackintosh running!!!!!:lol:

Words like "repatch dsdt", or "inject a kext" sound crazy to me...

Is there any way a merciful person would lead me to success? I need some step by step guide, something like "install this app, delete this file, go to this folder"... asuming that I won´t have any proble, with the hardware installation (I´m an average user, I´m quite a bit nervous thinking I may break something)

I would really appreciate any kind of help, when I open my "clover configurator" app it just looks like the Star Trek spaceship control panel to me....

Thanks in advance, and please, excuse my poor and messy english, since I write from Madrid

Ive bought a few Auo V4 Screens from eBay for both 4530s & 4540s. This is where I've bought both of my screens from and they're both fine. Very nice screens. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUO-B156H...090712?hash=item35aa757398:g:VS0AAMXQlgtSzpS3

For what I´ve read, I used a different guide. It was specific for 4540s laptop. It was waaaaay easier than this. In fact, this one looks like mandarin chinese to me. I wouldn´t know how to use this guide for my purpose, which is to repatch certain files in order to have my 1080 screen working.

I´ll look for the other guide, and try to find something useful there, since this one is too unespecific; and moreover, this one doesn´t say a word about 1080 screens (I remember the 4540s guide did... or maybe I´m wrong:rolleyes:)

I feel disorientated. Like an octopus in a garage, we often say.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Ive bought a few Auo V4 Screens from eBay for both 4530s & 4540s. This is where I've bought both of my screens from and they're both fine. Very nice screens. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUO-B156H...090712?hash=item35aa757398:g:VS0AAMXQlgtSzpS3
For what I see, this auction clearly states that "compatible model will be shipped if there´s no stock of the exact part". In most of the forums people say that what they receive is am LG or Samsung panel, and yes, it´s 1080, and yes, it works... but image quality is nowhere near the Optronics original screen. Especially in terms of gamut, which is a very important point for me, since I´d like to use my laptop for color grading-

I´m about to receive the screen, and hopefully I´ll have what it takes to have it working in a few days. I´ll let you know the results, and maybe post some pictures of the process... or maybe some pics of a dead laptop:lol:

For what I´ve read, I used a different guide. It was specific for 4540s laptop. It was waaaaay easier than this. In fact, this one looks like mandarin chinese to me. I wouldn´t know how to use this guide for my purpose, which is to repatch certain files in order to have my 1080 screen working.

I´ll look for the other guide, and try to find something useful there, since this one is too unespecific; and moreover, this one doesn´t say a word about 1080 screens (I remember the 4540s guide did... or maybe I´m wrong:rolleyes:)

I feel disorientated. Like an octopus in a garage, we often say.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Follow the guide as written. It is not that difficult, as you will discover by actually doing it.

For what I see, this auction clearly states that "compatible model will be shipped if there´s no stock of the exact part". In most of the forums people say that what they receive is am LG or Samsung panel, and yes, it´s 1080, and yes, it works... but image quality is nowhere near the Optronics original screen. Especially in terms of gamut, which is a very important point for me, since I´d like to use my laptop for color grading-

I´m about to receive the screen, and hopefully I´ll have what it takes to have it working in a few days. I´ll let you know the results, and maybe post some pictures of the process... or maybe some pics of a dead laptop:lol:

When I bought 2 screens from there I have the Auo V4 sent to me. Model Auo V4 B156HW01. I bought a 3rd one for my Fathers 4540s which isn't a Auo V4 B156HW01 its a LG B156HW03 screen which is very nice.

Hello again, mates

I´m about to jump through the window

Installation of the screen was quite tedious. I followed the 4530s 1080p installation guide. I had to discover that there are a few differences between that model and my 4540s, for instance, I had to remove a metallic grid that covers the cpus, and unscrew the cooling fan, but in the end I got to do it. I had to repeat the process, because the first time the screen showed nothing, not even the bios, which was very likely to be a symptom of a bad cable connection, as it was. I´ve got some pictures of the differences between the 4530s and the 4540s processes.
IMG_6976.jpg
IMG_6976.jpg

When I finally got the screen to show up, I´ve found that what I thought was enough for my system to have the 1080p screen working... definetively was not.

I´m going to explain what I have done, just in case anyone may help me:

Before I did the hardware change, I opened clover configurator. I mounted my efi drive. I opened the config.plist file. Then it showed what I think are the default options for my computer boot up. I went to the GUI section, and in screen resolution, I chose 1920x1080. Then I clicked in "Install drivers" and installed the CsmVideoDxe driver. I saved the config.plist file, keeping a backup of the old one.

After the installation process, the hp logo shows correctly, but as soon as clover loads, the screen starts to do weird things. The user selection screen is smaller than the screen itself. After logging in with my user, it shows a blue screen (I think the screen shows blue instead of black). The perspective is distorted, I see half my desktop, everything looks like horizontally stretched, the right part of the desktop is missing, and there are some vertical and horizontal lines. Colours are missing, except for blue and some violet.

I have tried to search for help in other forums, or in other topics of this place, but I find nothing useful. Everyone says that it´s all about "patching dsdt", and I thought it was what I had done, selecting a new configuration in clover configurator.

I´m not very savvy in hackintosh issues. To be honest, all this goes quite beyond my understanding, I just follow the indications showed in this forum to get my laptop working, which wasn´t that hard, but this time, this is too overwhelming for me...

Any help?

..........please?????

Attachments

• IMG_6973.jpg
    IMG_6973.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 266
Hello again, mates

I´m about to jump through the window

Installation of the screen was quite tedious. I followed the 4530s 1080p installation guide. I had to discover that there are a few differences between that model and my 4540s, for instance, I had to remove a metallic grid that covers the cpus, and unscrew the cooling fan, but in the end I got to do it. I had to repeat the process, because the first time the screen showed nothing, not even the bios, which was very likely to be a symptom of a bad cable connection, as it was. I´ve got some pictures of the differences between the 4530s and the 4540s processes.View attachment 280161 View attachment 280161

When I finally got the screen to show up, I´ve found that what I thought was enough for my system to have the 1080p screen working... definetively was not.

I´m going to explain what I have done, just in case anyone may help me:

Before I did the hardware change, I opened clover configurator. I mounted my efi drive. I opened the config.plist file. Then it showed what I think are the default options for my computer boot up. I went to the GUI section, and in screen resolution, I chose 1920x1080. Then I clicked in "Install drivers" and installed the CsmVideoDxe driver. I saved the config.plist file, keeping a backup of the old one.

After the installation process, the hp logo shows correctly, but as soon as clover loads, the screen starts to do weird things. The user selection screen is smaller than the screen itself. After logging in with my user, it shows a blue screen (I think the screen shows blue instead of black). The perspective is distorted, I see half my desktop, everything looks like horizontally stretched, the right part of the desktop is missing, and there are some vertical and horizontal lines. Colours are missing, except for blue and some violet.

I have tried to search for help in other forums, or in other topics of this place, but I find nothing useful. Everyone says that it´s all about "patching dsdt", and I thought it was what I had done, selecting a new configuration in clover configurator.

I´m not very savvy in hackintosh issues. To be honest, all this goes quite beyond my understanding, I just follow the indications showed in this forum to get my laptop working, which wasn´t that hard, but this time, this is too overwhelming for me...

Any help?

..........please?????

See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried to follow the "repatch dsdt" point in the 4530s, but mine didn´t have the text expected, don I didn´t know where to paste the text indicated in the guide...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back