Contribute
Register

4530s won't boot from EFI Partition, only USB. Clover doesn't exist on Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having issues with getting my 4530s to boot without the need for the USB. The installation process went flawlessly, but even after using the probook installer for Yosemite, and using the clover installer, it still won't boot. The EFI partition is visible as I have shown hidden partitions enabled from the debug menu of disk utility. I have tried with the EFI partition mounted and unmounted. When I try to boot from the ssd alone, I get a version of clover with a simple grey background, and the clover logo at the top, but it doesn't boot the drive. When I boot from the EFI on the usb, I am greeted with another version of Clover, this time with a much nicer look (Blurred standard Yosemite wallpaper, and large circular buttons with X's on).

Has anyone else had this issue?

Many thanks,

Michael.

I did use the probook installer though. Multiple times. This can't be the answer.

I did use the probook installer though. Multiple times. This can't be the answer.

Evidently not with the correct options. Try again. Provide troubleshooting files.

Okay, I'll try again. I'll reboot as soon as I've posted this reply.

Edit: When I rebooted, I got this screen when trying to boot straight from the SSD. (Without USB)

Attachments

• PCI.txt
    33.8 KB · Views: 95
  • install.log.zip
    63.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20150617_002901.jpg
    20150617_002901.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 100

Edit: When I rebooted, I got this screen when trying to boot straight from the SSD. (Without USB)

Post EFI/Clover folder.

Also, why are you using the old non-Clover ProBook Installer?

You should probably start over. The non-Clover edition will make incorrect changes to your system, only recoverable by restoring the kexts from backup.

You didn't press F4 like the guide told you.

Reformat your HDD and install again.

And the fact that you can't access Firmware.scap means that your EFI parition is corrupted, and HP PBI CE can't copy correct files. Use Disk Utility to repair your drive first.

Okay guys, after much thinking and experimentation, I have worked the problem out. If I remove my secondary 1tb drive , which I plan on using for mass storage (and the ssd only for the OS and regularly used programs), the 4530s boots fine, just like it should. (In no less than 15 seconds!! XD) However, when I install my HDD again, I am greeted with another older looking version of clover. I figured I must have to remove the original EFI clover from that drive in order to boot successfully each time. Do you know how I could remove it? Cheers guys! :)

Okay guys, after much thinking and experimentation, I have worked the problem out. If I remove my secondary 1tb drive , which I plan on using for mass storage (and the ssd only for the OS and regularly used programs), the 4530s boots fine, just like it should. (In no less than 15 seconds!! XD) However, when I install my HDD again, I am greeted with another older looking version of clover. I figured I must have to remove the original EFI clover from that drive in order to boot successfully each time. Do you know how I could remove it? Cheers guys! :)

You should check your BIOS boot priority. But removing EFI bootloader related items is as simple as mounting EFI on the device, and removing the EFI folder from it.

Worked like a charm! Thank you! Now I just need to install windows 8.1 on the same SSD, and I'll be fine!

I'm having the same problem my hard previous mackintosh drive crashed & I'm unable to boot without the clover usb i tried the install process step by step 8 times using 3 different usb drives & 3 hdd i have attached install logs please help

iconoclasts-MacBook-Pro:~ iconoclast$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS nyati 319.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *8.0 GB disk1
1: DOS_FAT_32 CLOVER1 404.8 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS OS X Base System 7.6 GB disk1s2