i7-4790k
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

my apartment got flooded, and in an effort to rescue the cats, my 4530s dipped into shallow water for about 5 seconds on the DVD side.

After dealing with flood stuff, I turned it on to see if it was dead, it started for a second and shut down. (Dumb of me not to dry first)...

I opened it up, and found water in the DVD drive. Dried it, and started it again.

It turns on, but the screen stays black (not even bios). Though, I plugged in the HDMI cable, and everything works fine, just no display.

I was wondering if it was obviously the screen to replace, or if the HDMI and graphic accelerator are actually independent and might need to change the motherboard due to fried graphic accelerator?

thanks for any input.

Hi,

my apartment got flooded, and in an effort to rescue the cats, my 4530s dipped into shallow water for about 5 seconds on the DVD side.

After dealing with flood stuff, I turned it on to see if it was dead, it started for a second and shut down. (Dumb of me not to dry first)...

I opened it up, and found water in the DVD drive. Dried it, and started it again.

It turns on, but the screen stays black (not even bios). Though, I plugged in the HDMI cable, and everything works fine, just no display.

I was wondering if it was obviously the screen to replace, or if the HDMI and graphic accelerator are actually independent and might need to change the motherboard due to fried graphic accelerator?

thanks for any input.

You probably killed it when you applied current while wet. But you could try completely drying it by placing it in a bag with dry white rice. Might be most effective if you take it apart, not to mention easier to make sure no stray rice is left inside.

I did dry it entirely, and it works perfectly fine when plugged on HDMI. I can use it on my TV screen, and everything works (keyboard, mouse, wifi, graphics, etc...). The only thing that doesn't work is the screen (black even during bios boot-up).

But I wonder if the HDMI port is separate from the on-board graphic. Not sure if it makes sense. If my computer works with display on TV using HDMI, does this mean 100% that my screen is dead, or maybe my on-board graphic died, and the fact that HDMI works is because the HDMI graphic use a separate way?

I did dry it entirely, and it works perfectly fine when plugged on HDMI. I can use it on my TV screen, and everything works (keyboard, mouse, wifi, graphics, etc...). The only thing that doesn't work is the screen (black even during bios boot-up).

But I wonder if the HDMI port is separate from the on-board graphic. Not sure if it makes sense. If my computer works with display on TV using HDMI, does this mean 100% that my screen is dead, or maybe my on-board graphic died, and the fact that HDMI works is because the HDMI graphic use a separate way?

On board graphics is in the CPU... serves both built-in display and externals. Could be anything though: backlight controls, cable, cable connection to motherboard, screen itself, backlight in the screen, etc.

Thanks. I'm wondering if I should jump on buying a new screen and cables and just change it... Might try to check the connections first.

On board graphics is in the CPU... serves both built-in display and externals. Could be anything though: backlight controls, cable, cable connection to motherboard, screen itself, backlight in the screen, etc.

Just realized by looking at an odd angle that I can actually almost see on the screen, it's just at the dimmest setup possible, but I see the folders shapes in real time. Any idea what hardware prb can cause this?

Just realized by looking at an odd angle that I can actually almost see on the screen, it's just at the dimmest setup possible, but I see the folders shapes in real time. Any idea what hardware prb can cause this?

Sounds like a backlight issue. I assume this is on Windows (to eliminate OS X setup issues).

Nope. OSX only. I have two 4530s running 10.8.4It is not a software issue though since the screen stays like this even during bios boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back