Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H97M-D3H (rev. 1.0)
CPU
i5-4460
Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 4600
I recently did a fresh install on it. I replaced the stock Ralink wi-fi with AR9280 (I only need the wi-fi and I ordered a separate BT 4.0 USB dongle). Everything was fine, I was using my home 5GHz connection. It was somehow slow to connect after reboot (around 10-20 secs), but then it was working.

A day ago I started having huge issues with the wi-fi unable to find ANY network. I double-checked antenna cables, reseated it, but still the same. I thought the problem started after sleep, but then I tried to reproduce it without success.

I managed to revive the connection a few times by pressing the wi-fi button (its always yellow now, but i think it was white before my OS X install), but this doesn't always work.

I tried to remove the wi-fi from the SysPrefs and add it, but the problem remained.

I have a keychain icloud enabled and my mac automatically gets all the networks that my phone has ever connected to, so I decided to delete all networks. And then it worked all of a sudden. This time I decided to connect it to the 2.4GHz AP, and connection after reboot is instant. No problems after sleep whatsoever.

My question is: Is this a known issue for this card only for 5GHz? Should I order a Broadcom one? The 2.4 wireless spectrum around me is really stacked, so I prefer to use the 5GHz one if possible.

Just a follow-up on this.

The issues continue with 2.4G AP also. Almost every time after a reboot it refuses to connect. The only way to make it work is pressing the wi-fi button multiple times until I see ATH: unknown locale: 69 messages in Console, and a line with supported channels of the interface and then it comes back alive.

Any help on the matter is highly appreciated.

That chip is not supported and you have to buy another one.
Just look at the install stickies, another wifi chips as there told are not beeing supported here

I recently did a fresh install on it. I replaced the stock Ralink wi-fi with AR9280 (I only need the wi-fi and I ordered a separate BT 4.0 USB dongle). Everything was fine, I was using my home 5GHz connection. It was somehow slow to connect after reboot (around 10-20 secs), but then it was working.

A day ago I started having huge issues with the wi-fi unable to find ANY network. I double-checked antenna cables, reseated it, but still the same. I thought the problem started after sleep, but then I tried to reproduce it without success.

I managed to revive the connection a few times by pressing the wi-fi button (its always yellow now, but i think it was white before my OS X install), but this doesn't always work.

I tried to remove the wi-fi from the SysPrefs and add it, but the problem remained.

I have a keychain icloud enabled and my mac automatically gets all the networks that my phone has ever connected to, so I decided to delete all networks. And then it worked all of a sudden. This time I decided to connect it to the 2.4GHz AP, and connection after reboot is instant. No problems after sleep whatsoever.

My question is: Is this a known issue for this card only for 5GHz? Should I order a Broadcom one? The 2.4 wireless spectrum around me is really stacked, so I prefer to use the 5GHz one if possible.

I have the same card. Connections do seem to be made a little slow, especially with 5Ghz. I may purchase a BCM card just to compare.

At any rate, nothing you can do... this is just Apple's provided software drivers... I believe a real Mac with the same hardware would have the same issue.

- - - Updated - - -

That chip is not supported and you have to buy another one.
Just look at the install stickies, another wifi chips as there told are not beeing supported here

Not true. AR9280 is supported natively.

What needs to be done if I order a HP Broadcom Half BCM943224HMS Wifi 518434-001 802.11abgn?

Patches? Or is it natively supported?

What needs to be done if I order a HP Broadcom Half BCM943224HMS Wifi 518434-001 802.11abgn?

Patches? Or is it natively supported?

If you followed the sticky guides, it will work.

I got the new card today, and the performance and connection speeds are impressive. I could definitely say now that the Atheros was having some issues. Not sure if it was the card itself or the compatibility with my notebook model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back