Contribute
Register

42% of PC upgraders plan to buy a Mac or iPad instead of Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your right ,I did come across as being m/soft bias, but I'm sick of people that have this Apple bias putting their BS in this and other forums, But I would just like to point out,the so many wrong remarks made about one or the other operating systems and it comes from people that don't know how to use them. I was bashing Apple for their cost of product and have previously bashed M/soft about their costs and would use freeware where I could(hence why I'm here), now M/soft have stepped up to make their own hardware, and I must say very well made at that, and I will stand by my remark about it(the RT Tablet) being superior, especially in an enterprise environment than the ipad is, and this is due to it's usb port and it's office app and all other function's that M/soft has put into it that make's the app driven tablet look and feel like it's a x86 OS brother the Surface 8. There is probably no doubt Apple is now working at a fix for this and I will give the credit where and when due.

i believe there will always be something to crib about but we all want things to get better and more versatile, and competition is healthy for innovation. A blind following of any manufacturer would make innovation slow down.
Like your mother said how do you know you dont like it if you never tried it.

I really don`t understand why people keep saying that one OS/product is better or worse than the other, well I`ve been working as a computer technician for 10 years now and I confidently say that whenever we think that we don`t like something it`s just really that we didn`t test/try it with an open mind, or even didn`t dedicate enough time to really have a concrete opinion about it...Why can`t we just appreciate the great OSes/Products that great people/companies have created? How can someone say that Linux/Windows/OSX are not good? Or even IOS/Android/WP? Let`s just try to be fair and not judge, instead we can all be happy and enjoy all the great things that were and will be created for us and be grateful for those ones that are working hard to give us the opportunity to know something that would not be possible whether bc of money or whatever reason, so thank you TonyMac, Macman and all the tonymacx86 community for giving me the opportunity to know the OSX world and start to love it just like I love Linux and Windows.

Hear_Hear, my sentiments exactly.

All operating systems have their advantages and disadvatages.
I like being able to browse using the scroll wheel of a mouse.
On windows I can scroll one page at a time but never been able to replicate this with OSX.
If anyone knows a real working solution then OSX it is.....

Before Apple / Google became popular Microsoft had a grip on the PC market, it would be very difficult to purchase a PC / Laptop that did not have Windows installed unless you were a PC enthusiast and built your own, as such Microsoft had the upper hand in the market back then.

The problem now is that Microsoft rested on their laurels and fell behind in the market and now people have good alternatives available.
After releasing Vista many unhappy customers tested the waters with various Linux distributions, many more discovered OSX. Times have changed and many people are happy with a tablet computer running iOS / Android as a replacement and as such demand for conventional pc / laptop is not what it used to be.

I now have drawn a line as far that I will not be purchasing Windows 8. At the moment I have a dual boot Win 7 / Lion hackintosh laptop and a new 2012 Mac Mini.

What attracts me with OSX is:

I Don't get pestered with updates, updates quick to install ( minutes ).
Excellent user interface.

What I don't like about Wndows:

Lengthy time it takes to fully update the system after a fresh install ( hours ).
User interface.

Windows 8, It does not make sense for a Desktop PC in my opinion. I can see why Windows 8 is appealing for a touch screen tablet device but can't see how it appeals to a Desktop user in a business environment etc. So looks like Microsoft has chosen to ignore user feedback again. The sudden dismissal of Mr Sinofsky speaks volumes about Windows 8 and Microsoft.

I have been wih the pc community since the DOS days and have tested tons of hardware and software. MS Windows 1 was really crappy ... kinda reminded me of the old Apple OS which did work better 10 folds. but if you look closely into history, you will see that the MS/IBM/Intel machines where far more accessible and paved the way for millions of clones, there was no limit as to which processor to use, we have Intel, AMD and that failed processor made by VIA! imagine if Apple had Hackintosh (clones) before!?!? well... it just wasn't possible, Apple had to adhere to strict standards in order for them to be user friendly, and this made their machines more expensive and inaccessible!

anyways, I like the new OSX ML but personally have no real use for it. i've just recently migrated my dev server to windows 8 and love it! maybe if i could afford to buy again all the software i have installed on my win 8 machine i could have considered OSX ... but then, i really find it's simplicity limiting for my needs. i bet, the average user will find the OSX system more productive for his/her own use, so maybe there is a possibility that 42% of upgrades may consider buying a Mac. the real question though is, how much of these windows users are actually upgrading? :D windows 8 doesn't seem like its that popular, but it definitely isn't anything like vista, if it was, then i wouldn't have bought one.

In my opinion, there is no reason to even go with win 8 if you don't have a touch screen. but I agree with most of you

I'm not surprised... Windows 8 is the whole reason I decided to go the hackintosh route when I built my current computer. For me, its not so much the bipolar UI (although that IS a problem) as much as it is the complete lack of sideloading in notmetro, or period on WinRT. Something like Gatekeeper would have sufficed, but Microsoft doesn't even have that. If my understanding is correct, you have to get a developer account with them (which is free, admittedly) and even then it has a time limit for how long its good for. I pay good money for my electronics, and as such I expect to actually own them and to be able to do what I want with them without jumping through hoops.

Same reason I prefer Android over iOS. The day user freedom dies is the day I abandon an OS/Platform. If that means in twenty years from now I'm running Linux on the same box I'm typing this on, held together by bubblegum and fishing wire, so be it.

Read the article carefully, the way they described the numbers is pretty deceptive. The survey doesn't state that 42% of PC owners plan to buy a Mac. The survey was of 135,000 PC owners, only 9% of whom said they planned to upgrade. Of that 9%, 58% plan to buy another PC, 30% are looking at the iPad, and 12% are looking at buying a Mac. 12% is a pretty good number, but it's nowhere near as stark for Microsoft as the tone of this thread implies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back