i5-4690k
Graphics
GTX950
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. SE
Anyone here use a 40" HDTV as a monitor?, and if so, what do you think of it as far as a monitor goes?

I've tried using a TV as a monitor before but I couldn't get the refresh rate to work as I wanted to. Mouse had a lag and to play some games at the time was kind of frustrating.

It would seem that I waited too long. I did my research and chose the Samsung UN40KU6290 after reading all the reviews athttp://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best because it at 4K@60HZ with a 4:4:4 Chroma. When I went back to Fry's Electronics with the intent to buy they were all out. The UN40K6290 was going for $377 and the only available candidate from that list was the Sony XBR43X830C at $600. I liked the Sony's base much more than the Samsung, but was it worth an extra $200? In the end I didn't buy anything, not even the UN40KU6300 for $100 more than the UN40KU6290.

Why an HDTV instead on a PC monitor? Because most PC monitors these days are matte and I absolutely detest matte screens. Most HDTVs tend to have somewhat reflective anti-glare surfaces, which to me is better than matte, although I also detest the 3H screens on a lot of new monitors. The Sony XBR43X830C lost to the UN40KU6290 for the same reason - poor blacks, which means poor contrast when reading text.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-pick-and-tune-a-tv-to-use-as-a-pc-monitor/

Last edited:
How readable will the text be ? Anyone got experience ?

I went and looked at the 43" Sony XBR830C. XBR850D and the 40" Samsung UN40KU6300.

Sitting two feet away from the centre of the screen I could see vertical dakr bands at the very left and right of the screens. To not be able to see the bands I had to stand four feet away.

That was a deal breaker for me. So, I've given up on the whole 40" monitor idea.

I use a 65" Sony Bravia for my audio hackintosh. Retina enabled, 60Hz and Chroma 4:4:4.

Fantastic to use except for two bugs I can't fix:

1) If I turn the TV off (with the hack still on) occasionally the TV won't detect the mac when I turn the TV on again. I have to reconnect the DVI on back on machine.

2) Even more sporadic refresh bug where I get odd overlays. Selecting the HDMI input (via TV) fixes it.

I think they're both NVIDIA GFX driver issues. Small price to pay though, both are quick/negligible to fix and the benefits of using such a TV are *huge*.

Very happy indeed!

You do have the TV HDMI input set to "PC," right?

I made sure that my DP -> HDMI cable is an Active type, and made sure it was certified for 4K.

Turning off the TV will terminate the HDMI protocol. I figure the opposite should happen, that when the PC goes into power saving, where the screen blanks out, it would break the HDMI protocol. It still happens sometimes on my PS3 if I pause it for too long.

I use a 42" and a 40". Currently still trying to get dual screen working for hackintosh but it's been a blast on win10 and ubuntu. Crisp and clear. :D

UPDATE: Upgraded to 10.12.6 and it's working now. If I set both screens to 1080p under the display settings they will both refresh at 60Hz.

Anyone here use a 40" HDTV as a monitor?, and if so, what do you think of it as far as a monitor goes?
I use a Samsung 40 UHD TV the real annoyance is I have to turn it on with a remote it does not sense that the computer is now in use like a monitor does. I love it, have one at home and one at however my video card died and I am using Intel 4000 graphics which means 2k, its the suck but I have an old i7 system that cannot handle Sierra, and an unwillingness to pay the prices for a replacement GT 970. I am going to do a new build as soon as High Sierra is out and iBoot and Multibeast are updated. At that point, internal Intel graphics will be fine and I can upgrade to a video card later.
There are now 40" 4k monitors in the $700 range I set up our graphics person with one and its growing on her. They are so big initially they look bowed because your eyes are not used to them. I am of the belief 40" is the usable max anything larger and its too large for your fieldof view to be usefull, for day to day work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back