Contribute
Register

4 Days & Nights and still No Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
apple logo and spinning wheel continues indefinately or I get the "You need to shut down and restart your computer...etc" message in the gray box with apple logo

(UPDATE 11/29/10: This problem was apparently due to the Radeon 4870 card I was trying to use.. If trying to use a card in that series expect to have similar issues I resolved my problem by replacing the card with a 5770 if it's within your means stop wasting time with the 4xxx and exchange it. I bought this http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0328873 )

Hello Everyone,
Firstly I'd like to thank Tonymac, and all of the members contributing to this project, and secondly I'd like to appologise for creating a new topic since there are already so many threads here that it is difficult to find the information that one needs. That said I am at my whits end trying to get past what seems to be a very early step in the process of getting my machine running and after reading through probably 100 threads I feel like I am falling deeper into the rabbit hole.

Here is what I have done:

I first attempted to install using Kakewalklegacy.iso per the instructions given at this site ->(except that I had to use imgburn on my other windows machine) http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hackint ... -x-part-1/
I then decided to try iboot here ->
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html
for some reason that i don't recall the first version I burned to disc was the legacy I have since used the main version and the iboot-ge versions with the same result.

Here is whats happening:
I get to the iboot screen, eject iboot disc put in the OSX 10.6.3 retail disc wait for a sec press f5 then wait for the name of the disc icon to pop up then I either press enter or type -x then press enter.(As a side note there is also a windows icon that pops up next to the iboot/mac disc icons, no idea why, the hard disks are brand new??)

After I press enter I see one of two things either a gray screen or it skips the gray screen and goes straight to the white screen with apple logo and spinning wheel after a while of this the monitor will turn off and wont come back on,

or I get the "You need to shut down and restart your computer...etc" message in the gray box with apple logo(this is a kernal panic?),

or the white screen with apple logo and spinning wheel continues indefinately(I have waited for upto an hour with no change)

Over the last four days since I got my machine assembled I have tried numerous slight variations in the bios but have most strictly adhered to the bios pictures on tonymacs iboot+multibeast page, I have also disconnected everything except the main SSD, the Disc drive, the video card, 4gigs of ram, the fans/cooling pump, & the front panel led/reset & pwr switches. I even replaced the LG super multi drive with a Gear Head Triple formet drive http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6 ... VD-Triple/ since the lg was very noisey and I wondered if it might have not been reading th mac disc but the gear head drive though not as noisey behaves in much the same way. I hope this information is useful in helping me solve my problems and doesn't become yet another long post that someone with a different problem is stuck reading. I have attached a couple pics and will post more below.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Attachments

• Apple hate v2.JPG
    Apple hate v2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 202
  • Apple Hate v1.JPG
    Apple Hate v1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 191
  • iBoot.JPG
    iBoot.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 190
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Additional Pics.

Attachments

• 1st Boot.JPG
    1st Boot.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 180
  • HDD Boot Priority.JPG
    HDD Boot Priority.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 170
  • Adv Bios.JPG
    Adv Bios.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 194

MacMan

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - 2606 - UEFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Do you have another video card you can try the install with?

If not, try booting using -x.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
More Pics. Thanks MacMan for the quick reply, I do not have another video card, and I have tried -x. Do you think the Video card is the problem?

Attachments

• BIOS.JPG
    BIOS.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 204
  • PWR MGMT.JPG
    PWR MGMT.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 175
  • Integ Periph.JPG
    Integ Periph.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 197

MacMan

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Yeah? :oops: I was going to get a different card but the guy at Microcenter said he uses the one I got in his CustoMac & the one I was about to buy was made by BFG and they went out of buisiness...
Given my system setup what would be a budget conscience but stable alternative that would likely be available at a retail store?

Thanks again.

Boot verbose -v, so we can see what's going on ...or not going on.
Also, don't know what version of iBoot you have, but you may need to specify the graphics PCI root, like:
PCIRootUID=1 -v

adding -v for verbose, can add -x also if not working w/o it.

MacMan

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Attachments

• Bluetooth Test Fixture v2 Back.jpg
    Bluetooth Test Fixture v2 Back.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 111
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hmm.. Havn't left for the store yet I put the card back in and boot -v from the iboot screen. I don't really understand what all this stuff means or how to do what you said.. "PCIRootUID=1 -v" do I type that before hitting enter in iboot? Did I mention this is my 1st computer build? :think: I tried taking pictures of the parts of the screen that looked helpful, something about Windows?? again?? I'm starting to wonder if the SSD I bought was a return or something... Also said something about Radeon Graphics...

This forum is awesome, 4 replies in less than as many hours Thank you.

Attachments

• SAM_0291.JPG
    SAM_0291.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 168
  • SAM_0292.JPG
    SAM_0292.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 151
Status
Not open for further replies.