Contribute
Register

4 days in...I need some help. Screen turns off during install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z-490 Vision G
CPU
i7 10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
After numerous issues with High Sierra I've reformatted my SSD and am going back to Sierra. I have two USB sticks, one with Sierra and one with High Sierra. The new issue is that I get to the apple loading screen (before the install) and about 75% in the screen turns off. I've removed lilu and nvidia kexts, removed the GPU itself and have the Display Port cable connected directly the mobo. In the BIOS I have use internal graphics turned on. In clover I have inject Intel Graphics checked. The HDMI port doesn't seem to put out a signal at all. I need help. I am 4 long days into this thing and it seems like I'm going backwards.

Screen turning off before loading the installer UI certainly sounds like a graphics issue, and typically you might do as you're doing, simplify, just use IGPU (enable and make primary in BIOS, allocate at least 64MB VRAM) and connect single monitor to DVI or DP of mobo IGPU out (HDMI can be wonky, and avoid VGA). Set inject intel true in config.plist as you said you did, and recheck config that you don't still have anything else (no ig-platform-id, no nvidiaweb, no nvda-drv, and no other inject). Barring that, backup the config.plist on the USB (rename it), do a clean clover 4220 install on the High Sierra USB, edit the config.plist and just inject intel = true, and try again with that stick, making sure your BIOS is configured properly for IGPU primary with 64MB VRAM preallocated.

Screen turning off before loading the installer UI certainly sounds like a graphics issue, and typically you might do as you're doing, simplify, just use IGPU (enable and make primary in BIOS, allocate at least 64MB VRAM) and connect single monitor to DVI or DP of mobo IGPU out (HDMI can be wonky, and avoid VGA). Set inject intel true in config.plist as you said you did, and recheck config that you don't still have anything else (no ig-platform-id, no nvidiaweb, no nvda-drv, and no other inject). Barring that, backup the config.plist on the USB (rename it), do a clean clover 4220 install on the High Sierra USB, edit the config.plist and just inject intel = true, and try again with that stick, making sure your BIOS is configured properly for IGPU primary with 64MB VRAM preallocated.

I reset the BIOS a few times by shorting the jumpers but ultimately had to remove the battery. This allowed me to get graphics work. Oddly I had to go through HDMI on my GPU. If I had both monitors connected it wouldnt work. Im going to back everything up then apply Nvidia Drivers and see what happens. Thanks for your response!

Sure thing. It takes a lot of trial and error and someone's gospel (HDMI is wonky! avoid it!) is opposite someone else's (HDMI works and everything else is wonky!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back