Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI X99A SLI PLUS
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 750
Hey guys , I built a hack with X99a sli i7 6800 processor , it took 9 days of solid headaches but managed to get there in the end. After building and getting it somewhat stable , I haven’t done anything to it , I’ve left it ... I’m running El Capitan and thinking to upgrade to high Sierra for better functionality with some apps.

Question - If i put a blank hdd inside , can I approach that HDd to try install HS , without effecting any settings on the el cap drive , virtually leaving that alone , Assuming I don’t change anything in the bios. I just fear the worse , even though not changing anything on that part it will some how crash and burn ....

Thanks

That is pretty much how I update my OSs. I add a new drive, install the new OS on that new drive and see what breaks! I can’t guarantee things won’t break, no such thing as a no-risk update.

After I get the OS working then I start adding the apps I want to use and don’t bother adding apps that I haven’t use in a while, it keeps my system clean.

You will need to have working s/n’s and SMUUID and that stuff so make note of those numbers so you can either reuse or recreate them again.

What will also work is making a bootable clone of your working system and then verify that it actually DOES boot :))) and then update the copy to the new OS. Use the copy to troubleshoot and then update the original if you want.

Nice thanks for the reply , sorry for being a noob but what are sns and smuuid ? I’ve been so out of touch with it all , cause as I said I spent 9days hardcore into it and getting it going and once I got it going , I didn’t touch it or do anything lol I should have written everything down. I have two drives one is my boot the other was clone when I first started , I should re clone it right ? Then look into getting a spare HD and try to install high Sierra ?

That is pretty much how I update my OSs. I add a new drive, install the new OS on that new drive and see what breaks! I can’t guarantee things won’t break, no such thing as a no-risk update.

After I get the OS working then I start adding the apps I want to use and don’t bother adding apps that I haven’t use in a while, it keeps my system clean.

You will need to have working s/n’s and SMUUID and that stuff so make note of those numbers so you can either reuse or recreate them again.

What will also work is making a bootable clone of your working system and then verify that it actually DOES boot :))) and then update the copy to the new OS. Use the copy to troubleshoot and then update the original if you want.

I think you might benefit from a refresher course:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/im-new-to-everything-where-do-i-start.104542/

The S/N and stuff are needed to get a valid combination of options for your version of your hack. They are used in conjunction with Clover and its config.plist file to tell the boot process what and how your fake Mac is configured. Spend a little while in those "Where do I start" pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back