Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
usb.png

Preliminary testing shows GenericUSBXHCI.kext now working in 10.11.2 with no kernel panics.

The kext, which was unstable and caused kernel panics on 10.11.0 and 10.11.1 is now working for 3rd Party ASMedia and VIA USB 3.0 hubs (Intel ports are native) as well as ASMedia USB 3.1 hubs on 100 series motherboards.

Unfortunately this kext is loading but not working for NEC/Renesas 3rd Party USB 3.0 on H67N and X58, although it does load without kernel panics.

Rehabman's Branch download:
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads

If you're interested in testing, install using KextBeast to /Library/Extensions. Report your results here.

EDIT: This driver has been added to MultiBeast as USB > 3rd Party USB 3.0
Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 10.25.54 AM.png

Last edited:
3rd Party USB 3.0 - GenericUSBXHCI.kext in OS X 10.11.2

I can't boot from the system drive with USB 3.0 enabled in BIOS on either H67N or X58 so someone else may have to test this one. Not working to alleviate that issue for NEC/Renesas.

Preliminary testing shows GenericUSBXHCI.kext now working in 10.11.2 with no kernel panics.

Details/Source here:
https://github.com/theracermaster/OS-X-Generic-USB3
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...ci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/page-44

EDIT: Not working on H67N and X58, although it does load without KP.
Working on X58A-UD7, but does not show in System Profiler

View attachment X58A-UD7GenerisUSBXHCI.ioreg

View attachment X58A-UD7.zip

Working on X58A-UD7, but does not show in System Profiler

View attachment 167189

View attachment 167188

GB, you mind posting or linking your configuration for the X58A-UD7? The MultiBeast default no-DSDT Legacy Boot Mode setup I have doesn't boot past PCI Configuration Begin without disabling USB 3.0 in BIOS.

Wow USB 3.1 support-

Just tried Rehabman's branch on the Z170 and boom USB 3.1 type-A basic support- the Red port on the rear of the ASUS Maximus VIII works. I don't think it's working much faster than USB 3.0 but at least it works. Test drive is USB 3.1 to SATA adapter with Samsung EVO.

ASMedia® USB 3.1 controller :
1 x USB 3.1 port(s) (1 at back panel, red, Type-A)

usb 2.0.png
USB 2.0
usb 3.0.png
USB 3.0
usb3.1.png
USB 3.1

Thanks, tony. Worked for me, too. I'm getting use of my 3.1 port now. Unfortunately, all I have is a USB 3.0 thumb drive. Maybe Santa will bring me a 3.1 cable and peripheral. :thumbup:

Hehe, this revived my NEC/Renesas based ExpressCard in my old MacBookPro. Well, somehow... :)

When booting my MBP, it correctly shows the USB 3.0 Bus, but says "AppleUSBXHCIPCI" is it's driver. System profiler -> Software -> Extensions clearly shows that GenericUSBXHCI is loaded, though.
USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices will be shown in System profiler, but never mount. xhcdump doesn't show anything either.

I started plugging my USB thumb drivers into the 2.0 ports, back in 3.0, removed the whole card and inserted it again, replugged the thumb drives a few more times, and suddenly both USB 2.0 and 3.0 started to work :)
System profiler does NOT list the USB 3.0 port anymore, but it's clearly working.

After removing the card or rebooting I have to do the whole procedure again. Not quite sure what made it finally work, maybe just waiting a long time with a device installed?

Wow USB 3.1 support-

Just tried Rehabman's branch on the Z170 and boom USB 3.1 type-A basic support- the Red port on the rear of the ASUS Maximus VIII works.

Crap! I still haven't caught up with the last new developments and now this! It's like CNN around here... "BREAKING NEWS!!!"

Since it appears Apple fixed the panics that were happening with 10.11 with GenericUSBXHCI.kext, I'll be updating GenericUSBXHCI.kext so it will only attach to XHC controllers that are not Intel and not Fresco Logic.

I'm still fiddling with it to see if there is a way via IOProbeScore vs. having probe check the vendor, but so far not so much... It keeps attaching to my FL1100 controller when it should not.

But 1.2.10 will be a "universal" build that works from 10.7.5 -> 10.11.x.

Note: It is still flakey with my pre-XHC 1.0 NEC/Renesas controller, but that was present in 10.10 too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back