NVidia Quadro FX 4800
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm not happy with my 6 year-old computer anymore so I came up with an idea. I like the original iMac case. You don't have any cables hanging around, it's clean and so on. And it's quite expensive. So I wondered if it's possible to buy a 27" iMac from 2012 with some defect - i mean the thick, not the new slim one - take out the hardware and put new hackintosh-compatible hardware in. I'm all about performance due to graphic related tasks and I'd get three or four times the performance with 3rd party hardware than with Apple hardware.

I've never seen an iMac from the inside how everything is assembled and constructed so I don't know if there is enough space for standard hardware... Let's say some standard-sized motherboard, video card and so on.

Has anyone done something like this? Or has information about that if it's plug & play or a massive amount of work? Any ideas, links, ...? I'd like to hear your opinion about that. =)

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I'm not happy with my 6 year-old computer anymore so I came up with an idea. I like the original iMac case. You don't have any cables hanging around, it's clean and so on. And it's quite expensive. So I wondered if it's possible to buy a 27" iMac from 2012 with some defect - i mean the thick, not the new slim one - take out the hardware and put new hackintosh-compatible hardware in. I'm all about performance due to graphic related tasks and I'd get three or four times the performance with 3rd party hardware than with Apple hardware.

I've never seen an iMac from the inside how everything is assembled and constructed so I don't know if there is enough space for standard hardware... Let's say some standard-sized motherboard, video card and so on.

Has anyone done something like this? Or has information about that if it's plug & play or a massive amount of work? Any ideas, links, ...? I'd like to hear your opinion about that. =)

Thanks in advance!
See the Case Mod, iMac forum section > http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back