Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to build a high performance rig that will mainly be used for 3D animation work, but more specifically, game design. I'll be doing music production as well.
I'll mainly be running Unity and Unreal Engine.

My budget is around 2600$ CAD

I basically need everything except a monitor.
I mostly need help choosing the best CPU, Mobo and Graphics Card combo for my budget.

I want to be rendering animation quite quickly and also be able to run VR software and games smoothly.
Essentially I'm looking for the most powerful setup that I can afford. (Which I guess we all are)

Edit: I'm wondering if the jump from Broadwell to Skylake will be significant enough for me to wait for native Skylake support as well? Comments?

I was quite involved in the hackintosh scene a few years ago, but working full time has kept me from keeping up with the newest and best information, so I'm hoping the community will help me out here as they have in the past.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill S

If you need something soon, go with the Customac Pro build in the Buyer's Guide. You can build one for less than your budget with i7 and 32GB of RAM.
The GA-Z97X-UD5 / -UD7 / -UD7 TH boards seem to be out of stock most places, so the SOC or the Gaming 7 may be suitable substitutes.
If WiFi is needed, I would get native Mac WiFi with http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P0QAU36/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 instead of the recommended TPLink.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Do we know yet how significant of a speed increase there will be from 5th gen to 6th gen CPUs?

I'm finding it difficult to know where exactly I will see differences if I go with the latest gen hardware.

Is it true that I need Skylake to be able to utilize Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1?

Thanks again

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Do we know yet how significant of a speed increase there will be from 5th gen to 6th gen CPUs?

I'm finding it difficult to know where exactly I will see differences if I go with the latest gen hardware.

Is it true that I need Skylake to be able to utilize Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1?

Thanks again
Until board OEMs start putting a TB port on the boards as a standard stock item I look at TB as a passing fad. At this time, going by what I have seen from other builds/attempted builds using Skylake, the performance increase is just not there to justify an upgrade. Maybe next year if Apple supports more of the Z170 chips.

After doing more research I see now that Skylake isn't as impressive as I thought.
Should I be looking into a processor with more than 4 cores due to my intended uses?

Forgive my noobness.

I'm considering attempting an X99 build with these parts:

i7 5820k
GTX 980 Ti
Crucial Ballistix 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s

I'm not sure which mobo to go with.

I'd like to emulate a similar build to this one. Although I can't find that mobo anywhere.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...x-gtx-970-ga-x99-ud4-yosemite-hackintosh.html

Any tips?
If I were building another X99 platform with ATX I would go with http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99DELUXEU31/specifications/ and the 5930K to get 40 lanes of PCIe and a Samsung SM951 SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back