Graphics
Gt-710
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

Having successfully set up my hackintosh to run High Sierra, I added a 2nd dvdrom drive and internal sata hard drive to the system. Not surprisingly, HS does not recognize the new additions.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to get HS to recognize the new additions? I want to use the second hard drive as data storage for my recording studio's software instruments.

I've looked thru the post install archives but am not sure what I'm looking for so any and all pointers, suggestions, and information would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to resolve these issues first before I tackle the last issue which is that the computer will not shut down, instead it loops back to the clover boot screen.

Thanks in advance,

Hi all,

Having successfully set up my hackintosh to run High Sierra, I added a 2nd dvdrom drive and internal sata hard drive to the system. Not surprisingly, HS does not recognize the new additions.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to get HS to recognize the new additions? I want to use the second hard drive as data storage for my recording studio's software instruments.

I've looked thru the post install archives but am not sure what I'm looking for so any and all pointers, suggestions, and information would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to resolve these issues first before I tackle the last issue which is that the computer will not shut down, instead it loops back to the clover boot screen.

Thanks in advance.

Did you use Disk Utility to partition your new hard disk?

Disk Uility cannot see the 2nd sata drive as well, which is the problem. The drive was formatted as a ntfs drive on a pc running windows 10 and shows up with no problem.

The plan is to re-format the drive once it is recognized in HS to HFS+ format but until I can get DU to see the drive, I can't proceed.

When I look in the system report under the SATA/SATA Express option, the system is only showing the dvd/rom and hard drive that came with the computer on separate generic achi controllers. The second dvd/rom drive and hard drive are nowhere to be found.

Both of the added drives are connected to the available data cables powering the original drives with power coming from power ports on the motherboard. i know that the 2nd dvd/rom drive is getting power as it's light is active on powerup.

The 2nd hard drive also powers up because I can feel it spinning. For reasons unknowm to me, HS and DU don't see them
so i am stuck unti I can figure this one out with the help of the hacnkintosh geniuses here.

Thanks,

Last edited:
In doing some research, I have come to the conclusion that my hackintosh won't see the 2tb drive due to the bios of the
motherboard itself. So I moved the 2 tb drive into an external drive case and it is working perfectly.

Disk Uility cannot see the 2nd sata drive as well, which is the problem. The drive was formatted as a ntfs drive on a pc running windows 10 and shows up with no problem.

The plan is to re-format the drive once it is recognized in HS to HFS+ format but until I can get DU to see the drive, I can't proceed.

When I look in the system report under the SATA/SATA Express option, the system is only showing the dvd/rom and hard drive that came with the computer on separate generic achi controllers. The second dvd/rom drive and hard drive are nowhere to be found.

Both of the added drives are connected to the available data cables powering the original drives with power coming from power ports on the motherboard. i know that the 2nd dvd/rom drive is getting power as it's light is active on powerup.

The 2nd hard drive also powers up because I can feel it spinning. For reasons unknowm to me, HS and DU don't see them
so i am stuck unti I can figure this one out with the help of the hacnkintosh geniuses here.

Thanks,

From this : https://blog.macsales.com/45330-dis...he-mystery-of-those-empty-unformatted-drives/

From the Disk Utility toolbar, click the View button, and then select the Show All Devices item from the dropdown menu. You can also select Show All Devices from Disk Utility’s View menu.

The Sidebar will change to display all locally connected devices, presented in a hierarchical view starting with the physical device, than any containers and volumes the device may have been partitioned into.

I did this as well but other than the hard drive that came with the computer, neither of the dvd/rom drives and second internal hard drive do not appear. I decided to take the 2nd hd and put it into an external usb case where it shows up and is working properly. I also used the terminal command 'diskutil list' and only the default internal hd, external usb hd, and recovery drives are listed. No dvd/rom drives are listed.

The only other thing I can think of is that the bios and/or firmware is so old that it can't see a 2 terabyte hd without a update
or purposely crippled by Dell.

At this point I am looking for help with the default internal dvd/rom drive that came with the computer which is not being detected by HS.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Latest update on the situation:

I poked around in the bios today and noticed that there were some sata ports that were not active. So I made them active. moved the external hd back into the case, and rebooted the system. And like magic, the second optical drive and hard drive are recognized by HS now.

My next issue is that while the internal hds are visible in disk utility, they are not appearing on the desktop. I'm going to search the forums in search of a permanent solution but if anyone has possible suggestions to this issue, fire away!!

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back