Apple 5770 radeon
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey.

I am just about ready to go shopping.
Just a few q's

I have decided to go with Haxman's 3770 build.

I can see on different 3770 builds that different ram is used.

What is the best option. 4x4, 2x8, low profile etc.
Which will give the best performance?

I have a graphics card i will use.
Its a Apple brand Ati Radeon 5770, will that cause any problems.
I need it for my apple 27" with mini display port.
Thanks

Nicolai

nickkbh said:
Hey.

I am just about ready to go shopping.
Just a few q's

I have decided to go with Haxman's 3770 build.

I can see on different 3770 builds that different ram is used.

What is the best option. 4x4, 2x8, low profile etc.
Which will give the best performance?

I have a graphics card i will use.
Its a Apple brand Ati Radeon 5770, will that cause any problems.
I need it for my apple 27" with mini display port.
Thanks

Nicolai
I don't think there is any benefit in going 4x4 because your mobo will have, at best, dual-channel access to RAM. So, going 2x8 will give you the speed benefits of the dual channel, and leave you space to grow in the future should you decide to do so (2x4 is also good, if you don't need 16GBs. Most do not). I have 16GB and there are parts of RAM I haven't even used yet!

8GBs modules are often a little more expensive than 2x4GB modules though, so the extra upgradeability does come at a small cost.

If you're going to build a performance system, you'll want to look into low-latency RAM. It is up to you if this more expensive RAM is 'worth it' or not yourself, but it does make a noticeable difference on Geekbench scores.

Finally, if you want to OC your rig, you'll want RAM that is also rated for higher speeds so that your RAM can keep up with your CPU's OC'ed performance. You can still OC with more common RAM, but you'd be limiting the overall performance of your rig. Just make sure that your motherboard and cpu can use the extra speed.

nickkbh said:
Thanks.

It seems its not to difficult to overclock, so i might try that.
In that case what would i need?

Well, the above RAM will still work well for you, even if OC'ing, but you might look into faster RAM to get the most out of an OC'ed rig. The RAM above is 1600 MHz, you could have a look at 1866 or 2133 MHz RAM. Be sure to read your motherboard manual to find out if it will even accept it!

The gfx should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back