Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 9.08.04 AM.png

Apple just updated the 13" MacBook Pro today with Intel's 10th Generation processors and a new (old-style) keyboard. The new Intel Desktop CPUs are due to come out for custom builds in late May, and MacOS will have full compatibility.

Related:

Just to be clear, intel has made their "nth generation" marketing very convoluted. These new macbooks will be based on 10nm "Ice Lake" CPUs which have a new architecture and iGPU. The "new" desktop parts are still built on 14nm "Comet Lake", an iteration of old Skylake architecture. So macOS support for one does not necessarily indicate support for the other. Then again, with Z490 and Comet-Lake being pretty much a re-brand or very minor update of Z390 and Coffee-Lake that is already well supported, it probably will work fine.

g\

Last edited:
Comet-lake being pretty much a re-brand or very minor update of Z390 and Coffee-lake that is already well supported, it probably will work fine.
The integrated graphics are exactly the same UHD630. More cores and threads and a top tier I9 with Turboboost 3.0 so most all tenth gen CPUs are nothing more than a refresh of 9th gen.

So does this hint at a possible "delay", for any desktop AMD CPU moves? Or maybe the first concrete pointer we've had of where we are going?? :?:

So does this hint at a possible "delay", for any desktop AMD CPU moves? Or maybe the first concrete pointer we've had of where we are going?? :?:
Hopefully Apple will clear up all the questions at the online WWDC 2020 in one month from today. Would be nice to know what they plan on for 2021 and beyond.

Hopefully Apple will clear up all the questions at the online WWDC 2020 in one month from today. Would be nice to know what they plan on for 2021 and beyond.

Curious mix on offer -

13" with 8th or 10th gen CPUs
16" with 9th gen CPUs

Encouraging though ...

Interesting to note that the networking spec is still the same: 802.11ac + Bluetooth 5.0, so I guess that's bad news (though expected) for Intel wifi on laptops.

I'm going to be keeping an eye out for new laptops with the Iris Plus Graphics that it uses. The i7-1065g7 laptops are looking good as of today! I've only checked one, so far: the Inspiron 5493, but it has an M.2 slot, it appears.

...So macOS support for one does not necessarily indicate support for the other. .

g\

Excuse me for the banal question, but I'm interested in the new XPS 15" 9500 that will use the i7-10750H/i7-10875H. They're Comet Lake, so are they supported?

What's the old keyboard?

edit- looks like they removed the "touch bar" for the macbook airs
glad to see they have this as an option

nvm looks like the touch ID sensor is still there as well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back