Contribute
Register

$295 "PovoMac" — The Cheapest "Hackintosh" Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright!! My build is finished and is running 99%!! I will start with the only problem that I ran into. When my displays go to sleep, I have to press a key on the keyboard to wake them up. Maybe it is from the mouse I am using. I have a Logitech G500. On the other hand, I am having great success with this build. The motherboard works absolutely flawlessly. I honestly think that this motherboard should replace the one in the CustoMac Budget Build because of its low price, but also because of how compatible it was. In Multibeast, I checked off UserDSDT/DSDT Free, and also checked the Realtek ALC 887 for 'current systems' and lastly, the Lanx2Mac Realtek Ethernet driver. USB 3.0 worked out of the box, and sleep mode works out of the box. For anyone considering this board for a budget build, buy it. Don't even hesitate.

Alright!! My build is finished and is running 99%!! I will start with the only problem that I ran into. When my displays go to sleep, I have to press a key on the keyboard to wake them up. Maybe it is from the mouse I am using. I have a Logitech G500. On the other hand, I am having great success with this build. The motherboard works absolutely flawlessly. I honestly think that this motherboard should replace the one in the CustoMac Budget Build because of its low price, but also because of how compatible it was. In Multibeast, I checked off UserDSDT/DSDT Free, and also checked the Realtek ALC 887 for 'current systems' and lastly, the Lanx2Mac Realtek Ethernet driver. USB 3.0 worked out of the box, and sleep mode works out of the box. For anyone considering this board for a budget build, buy it. Don't even hesitate.

Demonstrates that when you stay with Sandy-Lion (chipset and OS) or Ivy-Mt.Lion and the recommended hardware in the buyer's guide it makes it super easy to get a running installation. Especially with the new UEFI of the Ivy bridge motherboards.

Yes, I agree that your board should be in the buyers guide. It is so much like the other B75M boards by gigabyte. It hasn't been included probably because it just came out Jan. 2013. It's the best choice for a budget Customac build IMHO. Congrats :thumbup:

The $322 PovoMac Updated for Spring 2013 (For US forum members short on cache) About $270 w/ your old mATX / ATX case and PSU.

This is my version of the $295 PovoMac that will give the most BFYB. As of Spring 2013, for only 27 dollars more you'll get a very fast, quiet Customac. You could go with a 64GB SSD and save 30 dollars but the extra space will be needed eventually.

I used pcpartpicker to search for the lowest prices. I also frequently check Techbargains for great deals too.

I've found the GT610 very easy to get working (1GB version is fine). The only extra step to full functioning is to modify the GT610 Nvidia kext. see here for more about that: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/64658-nvidia-gt610-10-8-fix.html

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3 $63 at Amazon Fully compatible with ML, UEFI bios, compatible Audio and Lan chips.
Has HDMI and DVI outputs :!: :!: :)

CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 $47.00 at Amazon This is Ivy Bridge and the integrated graphics work to a degree but you'll still need a gfx card. This is not your "fathers" Celeron, these are really good. (Can also get it 12 dollars cheaper at Microcenter, in store only.)

Graphics: Asus GT610 silent $44.00 at Amazon. Great card, use it myself with no issues with ML 10.8.2

Storage: Samsung 120 GB SSD $93.00 at Amazon An SSD will really speed this PovoMac up to 520MB/S reads.

Here's the exact current prices of the 1st 4 items at Amazon
View attachment 51193 Amazon.com Povomac core components.

If you have a Microcenter close by I highly recommend the I3-3225 in combo with the above mentioned motherboard and SSD. Then no graphics card is necessary, you've got the excellent HD4000 graphics built in.
View attachment 51978 All three components together only cost $245 Amazing deal even Amazon can't beat.

Ram: 1x4gb 1333 Mhz Kingston value ram $25.00 - You can add another 4GB stick later on.
http://www.macmall.com/p/5685759?dpno=7878807&source=zwb12166

PSU: Corsair CX430 $20.00 AR at Newegg Very reliable PSU. I've bought lots of them.

Case $30 Choose the best case you can get for under 30 dollars, watch for sales and rebates :!:
Newegg is great for deals on PC cases. Better yet reuse an old one and save 30 dollars.

So there you have it for $322.00 US a very fast, quiet and capable Customac. Everything from
Amazon.com qualifies for free shipping. Newegg is usually free too.

Good luck on your build and remember to buy Mountain Lion from the App Store :thumbup:

Enjoying the new Customac you just built yourself.....Priceless :clap:

Thanks for posting this. While I wasn't part of the discussion, this helped a lot. Going to make a thread now.

I plan doing a hackintosh using Pentium Dual-Core G2020 Ivy Bridge instead of Celeron G530 . It will work with its integrated GPU ?!?

I plan doing a hackintosh using Pentium Dual-Core G2020 Ivy Bridge instead of Celeron G530 . It will work with its integrated GPU ?!?

The G2020 is compatible with an Ivy Bridge motherboard like the GA-B75M-HD3 for the modern Ivy Bridge PovoMac, but you need to add a graphics card. GT210 or GT610 are both quite popular.

You must also use DVI-D or HDMI as VGA is not supported in Mountain Lion, before you buy a GT610 make sure that you have access to a Mac that will let you download ML from the Apple App store.

Adrian B

The G2020 is compatible with an Ivy Bridge motherboard like the GA-B75M-HD3 for the modern Ivy Bridge PovoMac, but you need to add a graphics card. GT210 or GT610 are both quite popular.

You must also use DVI-D or HDMI as VGA is not supported in Mountain Lion, before you buy a GT610 make sure that you have access to a Mac that will let you download ML from the Apple App store.

Adrian B

Hmm.. I don't want any extra video card. I want to use the integrated one. The G550 (I know it's Sandy Bridge) it is okay with GA-B75M-HD3? And it can run Mountain Lion ?

Hmm.. I don't want any extra video card. I want to use the integrated one. The G550 (I know it's Sandy Bridge) it is okay with GA-B75M-HD3? And it can run Mountain Lion ?

G550 has the same unsupported graphics as the G2020. If you want supported graphics, then look at the i3 3225 with HD4000, you can even get audio and video via HDMI if required. Don't mix an Ivy Board with Sandy CPU it gives lots of grief running OSX. Apple don't mix Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge - remember your not building a windows pc, so you need to be careful choosing the right hardware.

Adrian B

Forget about G550. I think I'll go with I3 3225 + GA-B75M-HD3. The price it's a bit higher but it doesn't give me headaches ! Thanks. :D

Forget about G550. I think I'll go with I3 3225 + GA-B75M-HD3. The price it's a bit higher but it doesn't give me headaches ! Thanks. :D

I would say that paying that little bit extra will reward you well the i3 3225 is actually quite a quick processor and the HD4000 is actually better than the GT610 GPU, you have gained extra power in the CPU and better graphics while you are certainly going to have an easier time doing the build.

I will post MultiBeast settings here tomorrow. Do you have access to a Mac that can get you to the App Store?

Adrian B

No, I don't have access to a Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back