Contribute
Register

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laptop: Dell Latitude E7480
CPU: Intel i5-6330U Skylake
IGPU: Intel HD520
Problem description: 1. Having trouble with the screen brightness controls partially working: they make screen either fully lit or dark, with a "blinking" mode in between the brightness adjustment bar. 2. After the laptop dims the screen to go sleep, it doesn't turn the lights back on, so I have to VNC to move it down and up in full to use the internal screen (or just do a hard reset). 3. The Fn+F11/F12 screen brightness buttons doesn't work - which I was actually never able to make them work to be honest.

Hints are appreciated. Debug logs attached. Thank you.
try installing all your 3rd party kexts to /L/E

How and where to install kexts:

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to shift kexts around already, from /L/E to /S/L/E and ended on /E/C/K/O; it did not improved or changed for this issue. In fact, it made things worse as other components stopped working. As you can see, there are a few kexts found on both /L/E and /E/C/K/O from things that work with kexts only at certain locations, with the screen brightness the last missing piece.
shouldn't be in S/L/E not sure why you are installing kexts in there for?

Apart of the obvious “tried to shifted kexts around”, which I meant I had already done your first suggestion, I tried to place kexts in all known places, from current and previous macOS versions, in the hopes to solve my own issue. Hope this explains why.

Anything else that perhaps can actually help me out resolve my issue?
Use this tool and upload your problem reporting files:

... I take you are joking me.

The tool was ran and the output pasted on the very first message when I described the problem I’m facing.
not joking at all, if you need help then we need to see your files, we are not mind readers

also if you have made changes then we also need to see this

Absolutely nothing was modified on my system since I ran the debug. All kext files movement I mentioned were done PRIOR to the initial post.

While I don’t expect any mind reading, I suppose we now have a clear picture and enough details with the current tools and processes.
all your kexts belong in /L/E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back