280x or 7970 triple monitor working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG RAMPAGE 10 Edition 10 X99
CPU
Graphics
R290
I have a hackintosh with 5 monitors. I have a 6850 which connects to 3 monitors and a HD4000 which connects to 2 monitors.

I want to upgrade the 6850 to a 280x or 7970 (if 280x is not possible).

Is is possible to run triple monitor on a 280x? I want to use the HDMI, DVI and Displayport.

Which videocard do you recommend? I use Yosemite.

I use dual 280X cards with three monitors. Two monitors are on one 280X, both using the DVI ports and the other uses the DVI port on the other.

I've never had the right connections until recently for three monitors on one card, however I've just upgraded (not sure if thats the right word) to Clover and whilst DVI ports work, the mini-display ports don't work without me chanting certain strange words over config.plist files at the light of a full moon whilst holding rabbit feet and holy water and listening to the songs of Robert Johnson in the background on a crossroads.

Since I use FCP X I needed the second graphics card and so have never tried every port on one 280X. It *should* work but I can't say for certain it will work.

Apart from that the 280X is a great card and my version just works with the EFI mod under Chimera and more or less out the box with Clover.

Rob

I use dual 280X cards with three monitors. Two monitors are on one 280X, both using the DVI ports and the other uses the DVI port on the other.

I've never had the right connections until recently for three monitors on one card, however I've just upgraded (not sure if thats the right word) to Clover and whilst DVI ports work, the mini-display ports don't work without me chanting certain strange words over config.plist files at the light of a full moon whilst holding rabbit feet and holy water and listening to the songs of Robert Johnson in the background on a crossroads.

Since I use FCP X I needed the second graphics card and so have never tried every port on one 280X. It *should* work but I can't say for certain it will work.

Apart from that the 280X is a great card and my version just works with the EFI mod under Chimera and more or less out the box with Clover.

Rob

I need to make use of the 280x with 3 cards. But I'm afraid it is not possible? Can you try it otherwise?

I may look at trying to make the display ports work, but not for a few days as I need to do work to earn money :)

Anything like this requires a full backup and me spending a significant amount of time reading and checking.

I have hooked up three monitors, two on DVI cables and one on a Displayport cable to the top 280X of my pair. The two DVI monitors work but not the display port monitor.

Unless someone can tell me the voodoo to manipulate the kext or config.plist I'm not going any further.

My conclusion is that triple monitors on a Vapor-X 280X do not work at the moment.

Rob

Last edited:
I have hooked up three monitors, two on DVI cables and one on a Displayport cable to the top 280X of my pair. The two DVI monitors work but not the display port monitor.

Unless someone can tell me the voodoo to manipulate the kext or config.plist I'm not going any further.

My conclusion is that triple monitors on a Vapor-X 280X do not work at the moment.

Rob
try adding to config.plist

<key>ATI Ports</key>
<string>3</string>

string value should be actual number of ports. You might have to also change the frame buffer, but I would give this a shot first. Can also use it at boot time like GE=No with ATIPorts=x, x being the number of ports on the card

I'm only just started using Clover and am still unsure where to add this to the boot flags.

I am not keen to edit config.plist files as I have a stable working development system. Booting with new flags is fine though.

Do I add this to Clover->Options->Boot Args on the Clover initial menu? Is it sticky and so I do I need to remove it afterwards if it works?

Rob

I'm only just started using Clover and am still unsure where to add this to the boot flags.

I am not keen to edit config.plist files as I have a stable working development system. Booting with new flags is fine though.Rob

TIP:- make a backup copy of your working stable config.plist to a safe backup location (e.g, a flash drive) and then you can experiment editing your working config.plist to your hearts content

I even have a backup config.plist in my EFI for easy access

You can edit your config.plist manually (i recommend Textmate2) or you can use Clover Configurator (a GUI editor) to edit your config.plist instead.

Give em a try ;)

I'm happy with the physical edit of the file, I use Emacs in normal day to day use.

The question is where do I shove the

<key>ATI Ports</key>
<string>3</string>

in which section?

My assumption would be in here:

<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>MacHDD</string>
<key>Legacy</key>
<string>PBR</string>
<key>Log</key>
<true/>
<key>Secure</key>
<false/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>10</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<string>NO</string>
</dict>

Is this the right place?

Rob

I put

<key>ATI Ports</key>
<string>3</string>

into the top of my
/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist (is this the right one?) Also is there a space between ATI and Ports or not? your comment suggests there is, other people suggest there isn't. I've tried both and neither seem to make any difference.

Made sure all the connections were right, made sure all the monitors allowed connections on all the right ports. Rebooted and two monitors on DVI work, but the display port one doesn't.

here's the top of the config.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs\
/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>AtiPorts</key> <-- Tried both ATI Ports and ATIports.
<string>3</string>
<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>

Any other suggestions?

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back