Contribute
Register

27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display with 2008 MacPro, 10.11.6 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4096 MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
2x Xeon
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I mistakenly bought a Thunderbolt instead of a miniDisplayport Cinema Display. Apple forum guy says it will not run, no adapter available. My GTX card has display ports and HDMI and runs perfectly with my Apple 20" display. I have tested the monitor on a 2019 Macbook Pro and it is functional. Is there any chance to get this monitor upgrade working if I install a newer OS (currently El Cap) or just give up. I feel the 2nd option is the wiser since this Nvidea card is not likely to have any drivers beyond what works on 10.11.6. All opinions are welcome!

I mistakenly bought a Thunderbolt instead of a miniDisplayport Cinema Display. Apple forum guy says it will not run, no adapter available. My GTX card has display ports and HDMI and runs perfectly with my Apple 20" display. I have tested the monitor on a 2019 Macbook Pro and it is functional. Is there any chance to get this monitor upgrade working if I install a newer OS (currently El Cap) or just give up. I feel the 2nd option is the wiser since this Nvidea card is not likely to have any drivers beyond what works on 10.11.6. All opinions are welcome!

To use a Thunderbolt display on a hackintosh you will at least need a Thunderbolt add-in card like the GC Alpine Ridge (if your motherboard does not have Thunderbolt ports), and in such a case you will also need a Thunderbolt header on your motherboard to connect the card to. And that does not guarantee success.

If you do not have these then give up using the Thunderbolt display on your system. Since you say it works on a 2019 Macbook Pro perhaps you can use it there.

Edit : You are using a real 2008 Mac Pro? Then I believe there is no way to add Thunderbolt to your system and so you can't use a Thunderbolt display with it.

Last edited:
Thank for the insight. I will update my profile specs next chance I have...
I believe my motherboard is 3,1 early 2008 and definitly no Thunderbolt header. the 2 power ports in it are used by the GTX GeForce 980. My question now is: Do you
know if an earlier 27" cinema display that has a minidisplayport connection instead of a Thunderbolt connection (They look exactly the same) will work for all functions including speakers, mic, iSight camera built into it, with my MacPro and present video card?

@Maksani, Yes, the older Apple miniDisplayport Cinema Display 27" will work on a 2008 Mac Pro with a DisplayPort to miniDP adapter. I had an Apple miniDisplayport Cinema Display 27" on my Mac Pro before I sold the display and replaced it with a 27" Dell Ultrasharp monitor.

Thanks...so the motherboard will process audio and video over the displayport from this PCIe slot? Sorry if these questions are idiotic, i just don't want to make assumptions.

@Stork Were you able to use the native mac keyboard brightness keys to control the brightness of the 27" Cinema Display? I'm considering a used one in order to not have to use the brightness slider apps. I found the brightness slider apps darken screenshots since it's overlaying a black mask. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back