Contribute
Register

27" Apple Thunderbolt Display advice (Partially Working)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z390 Gaming I
CPU
Core i9 9900K
Graphics
Intel Onboard
Hello,

I put together a Aorus Z390 Pro with the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge TB3 AIC and connected the official Apple Cinema 27" monitor to it. I took the (2) included displayport->mini displayport cables and connected the mini side to the TB3 AIC and the full sized displayport side to my Vega 64.

The monitor comes on great when Catalina loads the graphics driver during boot. The display works in Windows as well.

My main issue at this time is that the audio, usb, sound, and camera do not work. I cannot adjust the brightness either. Is there something I should do that I have not done?

Edit: Looking in system preferences

- under "Thunderbolt", my card does not show. See "s1.png" below.

- The monitor, camera, and speakers are detected as being on a USB 2.0 Hub (lol WTFFFFF)* See s2.png and 23.png <- This looks like the ports aren't mapped maybe? I'm using a premade EFI folder... so maybe perhaps that's one of the issues? Does this device have a kext I need to install? Does the ALPINE card need to be defined in clover configurator? I'M SO CLOSE >_<.
EDIT: After looking closer, the USB 2.0 hub that was appearing made everything work!!!... Until i rebooted and then it went away. The screen works, but the display stops being recognized as an apple display and everything on it also stopped being recognized. Idk what I did. Maybe its because I left my computer on all day and everything just came up eventually? IDK MAN.

Edit: I just found this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/
But IDK if it will work for z390. The tutorial looks detailed, so i'm going to try and undertake it and see how it goes. If anyone knows what steps I should take to adapt the SSDT to the Aorus Z390 Pro, please let me know. In the meantime,
you know where i'll be.

One thing I've also noticed is that the thunderbolt display does not appear in macos as official apple monitor, but a seemingly generic thunderbolt monitor. I'll let you know exactly what it says when I get home from work.

Thank you.

Attachments

• s1.png
    s1.png
    65 KB · Views: 46
  • s3.png
    s3.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 42
  • s2.png
    s2.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I was unable to get this working consistently. In order to use this monitor, I have to boot windows and reboot into mac os 6-7 times and then the Apple Cinema Display works as id expect (even across reboots).

Also, if I reboot from windows on (1)NVMe drive to OSX Catalina on another NVMe drive, there is a ~60% chance that IOS will not boot. Verbose kernel message simply states "Could not allocate runtime area". Also, when this display is connected, my onboard graphics must be disabled (or set to auto in BIOS), or macOS will not boot at all.

I'm going to try and find help on insanelymac forums.

Edit: Got help there. It was a hotplug issue. Once I appled the right file/patch, thunderbolt works correctly as I'd expect (minus showing in system information, but that's purely cosmetic).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back