Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-P55A-UD4P
CPU
Graphics
GT 740
Hi,
As an experiment I decided to try to cobble together a hackintosh using some leftover PC parts I had laying around.I used a 2500k processor and a ECS motherboard. Of course there's no dst for this obscure mobo but after installing 10.8.5 using Multibeast without a dst, it surprisingly seems to work. I've got sound, ethernet, and even sleep working fine.From my win 7 boot disk, I managed to overclock this puppy to a stable 4.65 ghz, so I was pretty pleased. The only hiccup I'm experiencing is that when running the Geekbench 3 (64 bit) test on 10.8.5, my scores are abysmally low. 4400 for multicore and 1544 for single core. So I went into the poor excuse for a BIOS that this mobo has and turned off EIST and Speedstep. Then I rebooted and ran Geekbench 3 again. This time the scores were more where they should be: 12877 multicore and 3918 single. The interesting thing is that even with EIST and Speedstep turned on, Geekbench's System Information correctly reported my 4.65 overclock even though it returned the original poor scores. Also when running the first GB3 tests, HWMonitor was reporting my processor speed as constant 1.57 ghz at idle and even while under full load using prime95. After I turned off EIST and Speedstep, HWMonitor displayed my processor fluctuating wildly anywhere between 1.57 and 3.7 at idle and at the correct 4.65 overclock under full load running prime95. So my question is this: do I have to leave EIST and speedstep disabled in order to utilize my processor's full power or are those 2 settings just something that benefits Geekbench scores?? I'd prefer to leave them both on for the power savings and the lower temps on the CPU. But not if it cuts my processor strength by more than half. Are there some Multibeast settings that I need to correct this?? Any thoughts on how to remedy this??

TIA,
jb

I am impressed with your project. I don't have any input to your questions. However, I would like to know what you are using for a CPU cooler with the 4.65GHz clock and what are the Prime95 peak temps?

Good modding,
neil

I am impressed with your project. I don't have any input to your questions. However, I would like to know what you are using for a CPU cooler with the 4.65GHz clock and what are the Prime95 peak temps?

Good modding,
neil

As this is is a spare parts project I'm using a Hyper 212 knockoff made by Zalman.
Nothing impressive but it seems to be doing the job well enough. Temps hit the mid 70's under full load using prime95.
In my infinite wisdom, I installed Mavericks hoping that might solve the issues I'm having
with the EIST and Speedstep functions needing to be disabled in order to get good Geekbench 3 scores.
Alas, after getting Mavericks installed (which was quite a bit more challenging than Mountain Lion)
the issue remains the same. Except that now I have to have both disabled in order for Mavericks to even boot.
If I try enabling EIST and Speedstep in the BIOS, Mavericks kernel panics while booting up. Nuts!
So I guess that solves my issue for me. I now have to leave them off. The good news is that my GB3
scores are where they should be. The downside is that the processor now runs 6-8 degrees C hotter
at idle because there's no power fluctuation. Fortunately, temps at full load are the same. Which makes sense.
As long as it remains stable, I'll think I'll leave well enough alone.

Humm. Okay. What do you have in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist now?

Good modding,
neil

Use the following SSDT option from MultiBeast, or create your own SSDT and the problems will likely be solved.

Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 11.25.04 AM.png

Thanks for the replies.
Tony's suggestion seemed to do the trick!
I now have both EIST and Speedstep active in the BIOS and now Mavericks boots fine.
I am curious about creating a custom SSDT although I'm not sure how much benefit I'd get from it.
One question I do have is my system definition is currently Mac Pro 3.1 and it seems to be working fine.
I've read that the MacMini 5.1 system definition works better for 2500k. Should I change my system
definition to that??

Thanks Again for the Help,
jb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back