i7 4770k
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hello,

when i purchased parts for my first hackintosh, i was misinformed about a few things- i've since found out that x79 is picky with memory, especially with all slots full and when over clocking the cpu.

at the beginning i had lots of stability issues with 32g memory and xmp on, i found that removing 2 sticks made the system stable.

i've been reading about how to over clock and get back to my full 32g ram. i bought skill 2400mhz ram rated for the z87 board i have (gigabyte z87u5-th). i've learned that i probably can't run memory that fast, that 1600mhz would be safer and that the memory speed gain won't offer that much anyhow.

so yesterday i turned xmp off and the ram is rated at 1300mhz, added the 2 ram sticks for a full 32g - was able to boot and able to successfully boost the cpu clock speed up to 4.3mhz beyond that i get problems.

i'm wondering, why is the memory speed 1300mhz as a base? if i boost it up beyond that without xmp the system won't boot into UEFI- did i screw myself by getting 2400mhz ram? would it be better to buy a set of 1600mhz?

any other general tips for a twerp in the brutish world of over clocking?

thanks for reading,
have a good day
max
:)

You have to go into your BIOS. From your BIOS, instead of having your memory clock set on auto, set it to 2400mhz. That's it.

A similar thing happend to me. I have 1600mhz memory and it was running at 1333mhz. The fix was going into the BIOS, and setting the memory from auto to, in my case, 1600mhz.

EDIT: I just realized what you may have actually meant. It's better to use 1600mhz in my opinion, but you should be just fine with using 2400mhz and underclocking it to 1600mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back