Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Screen Shot 2.jpg

After many long years of waiting, you'll now have the chance to purchase a new 2019 Mac Pro. This is Apple's response to the requests of Pro users for a return to the Classic Mac Pro form factor. When you buy a new Mac Pro you'll be able to upgrade components many years into the future and it is likely to have excellent resale value. You can even buy the base model and upgrade everything yourself, excluding the Apple NVME SSD that starts at 256 GB. It's tied to the T2 chip and it has a proprietary Apple connector, paying Apple for the 1 or 2 TB upgrade is probably a good idea.

Apple is taking pre-orders and it will ship in the second half of December. If you will be making significant upgrades to the base model and/or buying the wheels, it won't ship until later in January 2020.

1572009930264.png

Made of elegant, exquisitely refined Aluminium, impossibly quiet, yet powerful.
Jony Ive: "We power it with a 1.4 Kilowatt power supply that can dim the lights of the city you reside in. We've already caused some local power outages in Cupertino just turning this computer on."

When you look at the specs of the power supply it's a 1280W PSU. That doesn't sound nearly as impressive as 1.4 kilowatts !! It can provide 1280W continuous when hooked up to a standard 110/220V outlet.
Screen Shot 3.jpg
Apple has taken a completely opposite approach than they did with the 2013 Mac Pro. That was an attempt to make their highest priced Mac smaller and more efficient. Quiet and unobtrusive. Since that approach failed, we are now seeing Apple market this 2019 Mac Pro in a completely different way. From the language they're using, this is a computer that sounds like its as big and powerful as a SoCal Edison substation.
Say hello to a Mac that is extreme in every way. With the greatest performance, expansion, and configurability yet, it is a system created to let a wide range of professionals push the limits of what is possible.
Mac Pro is designed for pros who need the ultimate in CPU performance. From production rendering to playing hundreds of virtual instruments to simulating an iOS app on multiple devices at once, it’s exceedingly capable. At the heart of the system is an Intel Xeon processor with up to 28 cores — the most ever in a Mac.

Maybe marketing could have come up with a name like the new Apple "Ultra Super Capacitor Megawatt Power Supply" just to make it sound really impressive. Maybe not. 0.0014 Megawatts isn't a very impressive number.

From their diagrams it looks to be a proprietary form factor located at the bottom of the case. It likely can't be replaced by anything other than the same PSU that ships with the new Mac Pro. Other than the proprietary Apple NVME SSD everything else is end user upgradable in the new Mac Pro. You can save thousands of dollars by upgrading the ram, adding PCIe SSD storage and installing your own AMD graphics cards. If you are running Windows 10 in Boot Camp you'll be able to use an Nvidia graphics card. This is a big win for fans of the Classic Mac Pro form factor.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Last edited:
Most everyone refers to this as the "cheese grater" part II. I don't see it that way. If you look closely at the front vents it looks much more like a piece of Aluminum Swiss cheese than it looks like a cheese grater.

Screen Shot 6.jpg

From now on I'm calling it the "Swiss Cheese" Mac Pro. Why use cheese grater ? That's old and worn out.

1572356627193.png

Last edited:
Probably the most expensive PC ever made for today. I'll pass and a build faster hackintosh for fraction of the cost.

This desktop is geared toward businesses that does media works. 99% casual users won't buy this unless if they have money to throw away.

I wonder if the carbon tax will be priced in to the purchase price?
Not likely. You will have to give up a first born child, one kidney and take out a second home mortgage to buy one. Not too big of a sacrifice. I think I'd be ok with one kidney.

Last edited:
Probably the most expensive PC ever made for today. I'll pass and a build faster hackintosh for fraction of the cost.

This desktop is geared toward businesses that does media works. 99% casual users won't buy this unless if they have money to throw away.
How do you build a faster hackintosh? Care elaborate? I was under impression, that one can not beat it with todays PC parts. ;)

How do you build a faster hackintosh? Care elaborate? I was under impression, that one can not beat it with todays PC parts. ;)

You can if you OC the hackintosh and put it in the freezer. :lol:

There will potentially be server motherboard hacks than can use the Xeon-W CPUs with high 20+ core counts but really no way to match the proprietary graphics modules that Apple will be selling. Those will only work in the new Mac Pro. Have a look at the MPX module. Using two or four of these Vega graphics cards working together in a Mac Pro is impossible to top with any hackintosh. 56 Teraflops of compute power and 128 GB of HBM2 video ram is a real wow factor. The software will be optimized for these AMD cards. Owners of these will get a lot more work done much faster than ever before.
Screen Shot 8.jpg

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Last edited:

There are many ways to measure computing performance. The high core count of the Mac Pro means lower clocks. For tasks that can't benefit from using all of the cores, this is most software, then frequency matters. Macs don't overclock and often don't have the head dissipation to run at full speed doing a heavy workload anyway.

Intel sells overclockable parts, even of most professional chips, so you can build a custom machine that will run circles around the Mac that uses the stand version of the same part.

The new Mac Pro is insult at 6K dollars with only 4 of the 6 possible memory channels, I forget but it's a pathetic 4 or 6 core processor, 32GB of RAM and a RX 580 GPU!? For a lot of common software a new iMac 27" with the base processor and Vega is going to be faster.

The new Mac Pro is so disappointing to me, the base configuration at $6K is insulting. A typical configuration for someone who can actually benefit from it will be spending closer to 25K and it will make a lot of money. If you are not one of those hand full of people it's a huge waste of money and can be crushed in most software by a $1500 hackintosh. If you start looking at AMD processors for building a hackintohs then even at it's core competency it will loose since Threadripper is up to 64 cores now.

Apple has the optional dedicated video accelerator and a spiffy Applish case, but from a hardware standpoint disappointing.

I'm sure it's silent though, even under heavy load, that is really hard to do and I've not matched Apple's acoustic performance. Though I have the quietest PC in room at LAN parties by a big margin.

You can think of the new Mac Pro like a semi-truck, in the right use case it blows away a mini-van. Most of the time, the mini-van is better. Sadly, AMD just came out with a triple trailer semi.

I'm disappointed because I would love to buy an Apple computer with a graphics slot for a real graphics card that isn't already 8 years old, is that really too much to ask Apple?

I am forcing myself today to work some hours with windows 10 with the hope that I completely ready to leave this Apple Circus behind me. But at the moment there is a big ongoing circus event ongoing on Windows either lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back