Contribute
Register

2019 Mac Pro is Now Available at Apple.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AnAppleADay, As the new Mac Pro appears to support bifurcation, did you get a multi M.2 PCI-e card?

Recently I was able to find a 2 slot card of this design: Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2. I haven't installed it yet, because I won't need to unless I add a thunderbolt card. For 4 M.2 slots there's the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 and a number of others. This is passive bifurcation and so the cards are affordable now!

@AnAppleADay, As the new Mac Pro appears to support bifurcation, did you get a multi M.2 PCI-e card?

Recently I was able to find a 2 slot card of this design: Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2. I haven't installed it yet, because I won't need to unless I add a thunderbolt card. For 4 M.2 slots there's the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 and a number of others. This is passive bifurcation and so the cards are affordable now!
No, just a simple, single-drive card for now. I didn't use the heat sink however I prefer the black perforated slot metal. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X9HCSPN/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I could care less about iJustine's Mac Pro videos shot in 8K Red Raw but have a look at how that dual XDR display setup looks on a desk. Talk about massive dual 6K screen real estate. Pays to be a millionaire YT personality that Apple does favors for. Most people haven't even received their orders for these yet. Nearly $14,000 worth of 6K monitors.

Screen Shot 24.jpg

Last edited:
I am forcing myself today to work some hours with windows 10 with the hope that I completely ready to leave this Apple Circus behind me. But at the moment there is a big ongoing circus event ongoing on Windows either lol
Why not leave them both behind and switch to Linux?

I could care less about iJustine's Mac Pro videos shot in 8K Red Raw but have a look at how that dual XDR display setup looks on a desk. Talk about massive dual 6K screen real estate. Pays to be a millionaire YT personality that Apple does favors for. Most people haven't even received their orders for these yet.

View attachment 442535

On a side note ...

Considering those are the famous stands with their silly price, don't they look utilitarian and boring? No Apple 'flair' there. Yes, okay, it might be all around the back, but still... One of those stands costs more than my entire Hackintosh build and I know which one looks classier! :lol:

Considering those are the famous stands with their silly price, don't they look utilitarian and boring?
Jony I've left Apple would disagree with your asessment. "It's a beautiful, exquisitely refined single piece of Aloominiyum, repeat after me, Aloo mini yum." I wonder if Jony's grade school teacher in England taught him to say aluminum that way ?

Jony I've left Apple would disagree with your asessment. "It's a beautiful, exquisitely refined single piece of Aloominiyum, repeat after me, Aloo mini yum." I wonder if Jony's grade school teacher in England taught him to say aluminum that way ?

:lol:

What's an "i" between friends? We just like to make things complicated. Unlike that stand. This argument reminds me of "The Emporer's New Clothes" Probably no one dared tell him the design was like a left-over piece of old girder.

On MacRumors :

Mac Pro Hands-On: Adding Additional SSD Storage Using a PCIe Slot

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/01/0...?utm_source=osx&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=

"We added a 4TB NVMe SSD from OWC, which is priced at $950. That's a good deal cheaper than the 4TB SSD upgrade option from Apple, which is priced at $1,400. You don't need to use OWC, but third-party SSD options are much more affordable than what Apple is offering"

Last edited:
I could care less about iJustine's Mac Pro videos shot in 8K Red Raw but have a look at how that dual XDR display setup looks on a desk. Talk about massive dual 6K screen real estate. Pays to be a millionaire YT personality that Apple does favors for. Most people haven't even received their orders for these yet. Nearly $14,000 worth of 6K monitors.

View attachment 442535

Overkill. These YouTube reviewers are a joke, but it's a win-win for Apple to give them free/discounted stuff for visibility as influencers are important.

Considering those are the famous stands with their silly price, don't they look utilitarian and boring? No Apple 'flair' there.
I think this photo (from the Maxtech channel) shows why they designed the stand this way. It maximizes your desktop space when the stand and monitor is as close to the wall as possible.

Screen Shot 17.jpg

Stability is the second main reason. There's no way this monitor will ever have any wobble, for lack of a better word. It also has to be stable enough to make it easy to switch from landscape to portrait mode. I think that most people who buy one will mainly be looking at the display's 6K resolution with more than 20 million pixels. A P3 wide color gamut and true 10-bit color with over 1 billion colors is much more important than a stand that looks boring. You'll be looking at the display all day long, while the stand is only there to hold it up at your eye level. Do the aesthetics of the stand really matter ? TBH it's not all that different than the base of the iMac stand. It just doesn't have the nice curves and rounded edges. Those are what appeal to the eye. To make this stand the same wouldn't work for an XDR monitor that is 32" on the diagonal, large and heavy and rotates 90 degrees.

1513336265_1380894.jpg

It goes with the new Mac Pro theme of function being more important than form. They learned from their 2013 Mac Pro mistakes and focused on utility rather than looks. It's kind of like the new Tesla Cybertruck. It looks terrible with all the straight lines and sharp angles but Elon Musk didn't make it just for "good looks" to appeal to Ford GM and Chevy truck owners. He did it because of a newly developed stainless steel alloy, the same metal that's used for SpaceX rockets. That Cybertruck design was the simplest and most efficient way to make a stainless steel "unibody" truck at the lowest possible production cost. If the base price for that truck was $59,000 instead of $39,000 they wouldn't sell well at all.

Now if Apple would only consider keeping costs as low as possible we wouldn't have to pay a grand for a monitor stand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back