Contribute
Register

2019 Mac Pro is Now Available at Apple.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
On that picture... The air intake GPU fan is completely chocked by that MPX thing below it, I guess we can just remove it if we aren't using any MPX module below it, but what if we are?

The air intake should be on the top. The cards are held in there rotated 180° compared to an ATX case.

But... Normal Vega's, XT's or a Radeon 7 doesn't have that link thingy... Right? Wouldnt that mean no dual GPU support for regular GPU's?

No, AMD's gaming GPUs don't have these connectors, but I've seen hackintoshes with dual GPUs (e.g. this) and depending on software support they could be used together (albeit not as efficiently as if they were linked). But I don't really know how such a setup would work in a Mac Pro.

Those that work for a company often can't afford to choose wich software to use tho, I feel bad for those people lol.. :D
Unless those people are the bosses :), in which case they'd be wise to choose the best tool for the job.

The air intake should be on the top. The cards are held in there rotated 180° compared to an ATX case.

No, AMD's gaming GPUs don't have these connectors, but I've seen hackintoshes with dual GPUs (e.g. this) and depending on software support they could be used together (albeit not as efficiently as if they were linked). But I don't really know how such a setup would work in a Mac Pro.
Interesting.. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. :thumbup:

The downside I see with this Mac Pro, is that upgrade wise, this platform is a dead-end. Due to AMD's server success, Intel has set an aggressive update timeline for their Xeon lineup and very soon (1H 2020), this will be replaced with Cooper Lake CPUs which will bring:
  • New LGA 4189 socket
  • Up to 56 cores (multi-chip package)
  • Octa-channel memory
And right after that, in 2H 2020, Ice Lake Xeons will be released for the 4189 socket, supporting:
  • Brand new architecture built at 10nm
  • Probably up to 76 cores
  • Lower power consumption
  • PCIe 4.0
These would require a significant redesign of the internals and I don't see Apple doing it so soon.
This is why as a customer I hesitate to buy the Mac Pro. The platform already seems dated in some ways. I feel like in a year or two e.g. the iMac will be better at some workloads.

Look at how much video render times are reduced with a 28 core Xeon compared to a 9900K or a 32 core Threadripper CPU. For busy pros they're going to try and get as much done in the least amount of time possible.

Even if they run Windows in Bootcamp on their MP when using Adobe products it will be a big increase in productivity. I have two brothers that work in video production in Hollywood. One is a colorist that uses Davinci Resolve on custom hardware that costs upwards of 100K. In his post production shop there are editors that use Final Cut and some that will only use Windows/Premiere Pro and some that use PP on a Mac. So if they purchase the SCMP everyone can pretty much run any software they want to. The downside being the limitation of only having high end AMD graphics cards and not Nvidia, when using Adobe software.

Apple documents specifically state you can run NVIDIA in Windows without a problem.

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 2.00.22 AM.png

interesting.. Thanks for the info,
Youtuber Max Yuryev goes over your graphics card choices for a do it yourself upgrade. Saves you thousands of dollars in upgrade costs. Upgrading graphics and ram this way is incredibly easy as it should be.

TLDW: Max says to not max out the Mac Pro. You'd be wasting tens of thousands of dollars. You can spec out a Mac Pro for well under $10,000 that will do everything you need it to. Upgrade what you can yourself and use it to make a lot more money than you are now using a PC that can't match this performance. Max shows you some Dell and HP workstations with equivalent hardware that cost tens of thousands more than the new Mac Pro does. I specced out a Dell Precision workstation 7920 at Dell.com and the final price of one with specs matching the MP came out to a thousand dollars more than the Apple MP base price of $5995. Even with the discounts Dell is offering.

Yes, you can build your own Windows based workstation for less. You can hackintosh one too. If you don't have time for all the research, maintenance and building from scratch that a hack requires, buy a new Mac Pro that meets your needs. Use it for work with no worries about breaking it with the next Catalina update. Thunderbolt three hot plugging works flawlessly. On a Hack Pro, not so much. Sometimes TH3 just won't work at all. If you ever want to resell your hackintosh, the value won't be that great. Resale value of a 2019 MP should be very good. etc. etc.

Ease of use and peace of mind are worth something too. Hard to put dollar values on those two things.

Last edited:
Youtuber Max Yuryev goes over your graphics card choices for a do it yourself upgrade. Saves you thousands of dollars in upgrade costs. Upgrading graphics and ram this way is incredibly easy as it should be.
I feel like the Apple SSD is the most difficult component to upgrade later. Though I'm still not clear if the CPU SKUs are Apple specific.

If you ever want to resell your hackintosh, the value won't be that great. Resale value of a 2019 MP should be very good. etc. etc.
That is the one silver lining. You can always cash out.

I feel like the Apple SSD is the most difficult component to upgrade later.
Good idea to get at least the 1TB drive and then add the rest of your storage via PCIe slots or TH3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back