Contribute
Register

2019 Mac Pro is Now Available at Apple.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
When this website did a question about "what is the reason makes you to Hackintosh?", lots of people choose the answer "because Apple doesn't release high end specs we need, price is no problem". And they strongly argued about that.
Now lets see if those people stop Hackintoshing and buy Apple products, Mac Pro + XDR Monitor + Stand.. tbh it is a power house for what macOS needs so I think they got what they need.

IMO here's what specs/hardware the base model $5,999 Mac Pro should be including to be fairly priced. Apple is charging $1,700 more for this configuration than they really should be. Why you ask ? Because they can, but more importantly to them, it gives the product a brighter halo because average consumers can't part with that much money for a computer. It makes the product look even more exclusive and prestigious when not everyone on your block owns one. If you've got a Ferrari in your driveway that makes you feel better than someone commuting everyday in a 2005 Toyota Corolla with 160,000 miles on it.

Starting with the 12 core Xeon, when these can be upgraded up to 28 cores, is perfectly reasonable. You want at least 48 GB of ram to take advantage of all six channels. Most people that want better graphics can and will buy their own AMD Radeon card such as the 5700 (XT) for much less than what Apple will charge. And finally, the base model storage should be no less than 1 TB. NVME drives of this size and quality from companies such as Samsung cost less than $190 each these days. Apple is asking $400 to upgrade from 256 GB to 1 TB.

So what do you think ? Would you buy one for $5999 if it came with the specs below ? Or would you still build a Core i9-9900K hackintosh and do it all yourself for less than half the cost of this price adjusted base model Mac Pro ?

Screen_Shot_14.png

To make this point even clearer look at the specs for this Dell Precision Workstation. It sells for 20 USD less than the base model 2019 MP. Has a 10 Core Xeon W and 64GB of DDR4 a 1TB NVME + additional 4TB HDD. You also get a Quadro P1000 graphics card which is selling at a 400 dollar price point, an RX580 by AMD goes for closer to 200 USD or less. Dell even includes a 3 year warranty while Apple makes you pay 299 extra for 3 years of Apple Care. That's just not right for a "Pro" machine for Pro customers.

Screen Shot 17.jpg

Last edited:
When this website did a question about "what is the reason makes you to Hackintosh?", lots of people choose the answer "because Apple doesn't release high end specs we need, price is no problem". And they strongly argued about that.
Now lets see if those people stop Hackintoshing and buy Apple products, Mac Pro + XDR Monitor + Stand.. tbh it is a power house for what macOS needs so I think they got what they need.

I will buy one. Maybe 10 years from now, just like I did the 2010 cMP. To get something better than my X299 Hackintosh, I would have to spend $15k. Yes, I can do it, but it would be a stupid waste of money.

Here is one hardware upgrade among many that is really difficult to justify. 1,400 USD to get a 4TB NVME. There is a 4TB Sabrent available at Newegg for 645 USD right now. I know it's not Samsung and it is TLC Nand but that is still a huge markup for storage. You could also get two 2TB NVME drives manufactured for HP for just over 500 USD if you would be dual booting with Windows or Linux.

Screen Shot 16.jpg
Screen Shot 15.jpg

Screen Shot 18.jpg

The only thing you can't beat is the proprietary GPU with two gpus chip, potentially four gpus talking to each other, also 128G HBM2. I'm not sure how much benefits it will bring in terms of real world performance. But according to official Mac Pro info about GPU, depending on which software you are using, you get 2-5 times of performance improvement compared to iMac Pro. Cinema 4D and Davinci Resolve benefit the most, FCPX not that much.
If we use X299 try to match/beat, 10980XE OC + 3 Radeon VII (not sure X299 MB can fully support 4 GPU) should do a decent job. Of course, you can't beat 1.5T memory if you go with X299, you have to go C621 into TB memory territory.

I'm curious as to whether from now on a 2019 Mac Pro system profile will offer advantages over the recommended iMac one that most of us are using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back