CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Considering those are the famous stands with their silly price, don't they look utilitarian and boring? No Apple 'flair' there.
I think this photo (from the Maxtech channel) shows why they designed the stand this way. It maximizes your desktop space when the stand and monitor is as close to the wall as possible.

Screen Shot 17.jpg

Stability is the second main reason. There's no way this monitor will ever have any wobble, for lack of a better word. It also has to be stable enough to make it easy to switch from landscape to portrait mode. I think that most people who buy one will mainly be looking at the display's 6K resolution with more than 20 million pixels. A P3 wide color gamut and true 10-bit color with over 1 billion colors is much more important than a stand that looks boring. You'll be looking at the display all day long, while the stand is only there to hold it up at your eye level. Do the aesthetics of the stand really matter ? TBH it's not all that different than the base of the iMac stand. It just doesn't have the nice curves and rounded edges. Those are what appeal to the eye. To make this stand the same wouldn't work for an XDR monitor that is 32" on the diagonal, large and heavy and rotates 90 degrees.

1513336265_1380894.jpg

It goes with the new Mac Pro theme of function being more important than form. They learned from their 2013 Mac Pro mistakes and focused on utility rather than looks. It's kind of like the new Tesla Cybertruck. It looks terrible with all the straight lines and sharp angles but Elon Musk didn't make it just for "good looks" to appeal to Ford GM and Chevy truck owners. He did it because of a newly developed stainless steel alloy, the same metal that's used for SpaceX rockets. That Cybertruck design was the simplest and most efficient way to make a stainless steel "unibody" truck at the lowest possible production cost. If the base price for that truck was $59,000 instead of $39,000 they wouldn't sell well at all.

Now if Apple would only consider keeping costs as low as possible we wouldn't have to pay a grand for a monitor stand.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Gryphon z87
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD4600 & RX580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Apple
Why not leave them both behind and switch to Linux?
because teh software i need is only available for macOS or Windows, othercase I won't be even writing here :)

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
The Apple Pro Display XDR is Now Available on Amazon.com
If you will be buying one of these make sure to click through the links below to help support this community via the affiliate links. The price and sales tax you pay will be exactly the same as when you buy one from Apple directly. Wait time is about 4-6 weeks.

Display Monitor
Pro Display Stand
VESA Mount
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082M1YTYC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Why Apple sees the 2019 base model Mac Pro as reasonably priced
Have a look at what the 40 MHz Macintosh II fx used to cost about 30 years ago. Over $17,500 in 2019 USDs. If you maxed out the ram you would have an astounding 128 MB to work with. Less than 1/4 of 1 GB of ram. I wonder how long it will take until 1.5 TB of ram seems to be too little to do anything with ?

So the base $6,000 MP released last December is certainly giving you more for your money than Apple's highest end desktop did in the past. As you probably have guessed, it didn't sell well and started Apple's steep decline through most of the 1990s.

Screen_Shot_21.png

Click on the above graphic to enlarge it.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASRock X99 Extreme6
CPU
E5-2690 v4
Graphics
Radeon VII
NVMe SSD from OWC
I just tried the 2 TB 4M2 card in my X99 system. Blackmagic disk speed test results are: just under 4100 MB/s write, and 5100 MB/s read!

That's with the default volume configuration in SoftRAID: HFS+, striped @ 128KB.

Does anyone know what type of RAID setup MacPro7,1 uses for the dual SSD configurations? I've been using APFS RAID with Mojave, and its in Catalina too, so I assume it's probably that and not some special driver, right?

Motherboard
X299 SAGE 10G
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
RADEON VII
Hello
I was wondering about the MacPro's Dual 10G ethernet controller. What chip is it ? Any dual 10G PCIe card compatible ?
Thanks

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Classic Mac
eMac, iBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Why Apple sees the 2019 base model Mac Pro as reasonably priced
Have a look at what the 40 MHz Macintosh II fx used to cost about 30 years ago. Over $17,500 in 2019 USDs. If you maxed out the ram you would have an astounding 128 MB to work with. Less than 1/4 of 1 GB of ram. I wonder how long it will take until 1.5 TB of ram seems to be too little to do anything with ?

So the base $6,000 MP released last December is certainly giving you more for your money than Apple's highest end desktop did in the past. As you probably have guessed, it didn't sell well and started Apple's steep decline through most of the 1990s.

View attachment 445507

Click on the above graphic to enlarge it.
You might have already watched this, but for Linus I thought this was a quite calm and reasoned set of viewponts ... (and no, he's not really returning it. That is probably just a 'hook' etc).

I'm not expert on the Pro's but this seems a fair summary.

:)

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 Designare EX
CPU
7900X
Graphics
2x Vega 64
Mac
iMac
If any has a suggestion for a an X299 motherboard that is hackintosh "friendly" (Been looking at WS Sage 10G), and be capable of having a Titan Ridge support for the TB3, please let me know :)

Merry Christmas
Best X299 Motherboard out there Asus X299 WS Sage 10/G

With a little bit EEPROM flashing the 10/G Ethernet works flawless with the official Smalltree driver.