Contribute
Register

2018 Spectre x360 15" (Whiskey Lake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ShortFormErnie,

Yhea, I've noticed that too, I tried adding adding e005=0 as a Custom PS2 Map - which is what the HP Lid Fix SSDT does but it did not help ... at least not for me). The previous version of the kext would not allow my Spectre X360 to sleep at all so progress has been made since then.

The current release seems to work ok with sleep most of the time but occasionally i find the battery is completely drained which isn't ideal. Would be good if you could also report the issue to the devs so that they know its not just an isolated problem.

Please add a comment to issue 334 on the Bugtracker project :-

Cheers
Jay
Sure thing. Thanks Jay!

I tried installing to an external drive and the same thing happens, the installer freezes and I noticed the external mouse does, too. The trackpad and keyboard are unresponsive.

When I get a little more time I’ll try to dig into your config.plist to see if anything’s off, but @jm52262's recommendation sounds like a good lead. You may need to do some DSDT patching on your USB before you finish installing.

I tried installing to an external drive and the same thing happens, the installer freezes and I noticed the external mouse does, too. The trackpad and keyboard are unresponsive.

To clarify, does it lock up on the initial boot into the installer or on the reboot, when it just shows the black screen with the Apple logo? Since you’re mentioning mouse functionality it seems worth asking.

OK, doing some research on the lockup issue: A lot of lockups that happen with two minutes left appear to be a side effect of the APFS not properly formatting on the drive. Assuming that’s the issue, you have both apfs.efi and ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi in your drivers64UEFI folder. You need to remove one or the other; I believe you should be able to remove apfs.efi without a problem, though save a copy just to be on the safe side (it’s not in my folder, FWIW). Do that and see if it works.

I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary regarding your config.plist other than the 0x12345678 settings, which I assume you plan on setting up after the install.

Trackpad/keyboard/touchscreen issue

For reference, the trackpad is an SYNA327F and the touchscreen is an ELAN2514.

As per these instructions, I added the VoodooI2CSynaptics.kext and tried it both with and without the VoodooI2CHID.kext

To avoid conflicts with Apple I2C kexts, I added two new entries in config.plist>KextsToPatch (credit CoolStar).

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Prevent Apple I2C kexts from attaching to I2C controllers, credit CoolStar</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleIntelLpssI2C</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>SU9LaXQ=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>SU9LaXM=</data>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Prevent Apple I2C kexts from attaching to I2C controllers, credit CoolStar</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleIntelLpssI2CController</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>SU9LaXQ=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>SU9LaXM=</data>
<true/>
</dict>

Sadly, all of this has had no effect. Trackpad and keyboard still don’t work.
The keyboard issue is weird because that seems to work OOB in nearly every other x360 guide I’ve seen. Also odd is the fact that the keyboard backlight activates when I press keys, but it otherwise shows no response.

It looks like I’m going to have to dive into the GPIO pinning guide as per @jm52262's suggestion for getting the trackpad to work.

Up to now, I’ve chosen desktop builds that work without DSDT patching, so I’m a total noob there and will have to do some reading up before I dive into that, but it’s something I was going to have to do eventually. Haven’t the first clue on where to start with patching USB, so it’s back to https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/ I suppose.

Installer issue

I removed apfs.efi from Drivers, but the installer (and here I’m referring to the very first part of the installation process before it reboots the first time) still hangs at 2 mins. to go.

Should I try Clover 2.5 or will that have little effect on the results?

Last edited:
Comparing @jm52262's list of drivers:

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 10.27.59 AM.png

with mine:

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 10.28.10 AM.png

it seems like I'm missing a lot. Is there anything obvious that I should have included but didn't?

As per these instructions, I added the VoodooI2CSynaptics.kext and tried it both with and without the VoodooI2CHID.kext

To avoid conflicts with Apple I2C kexts, I added two new entries in config.plist>KextsToPatch (credit CoolStar).

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Find</key>
<data>SU9LaXQ=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>SU9LaXM=</data>
<true/>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Find</key>
<data>SU9LaXQ=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>SU9LaXM=</data>
<true/>
</dict>

The keyboard issue is weird because that seems to work OOB in nearly every other x360 guide I’ve seen. Also odd is the fact that the keyboard backlight activates when I press keys, but it otherwise shows no response.

It looks like I’m going to have to dive into the GPIO pinning guide as per @jm52262's suggestion for getting the trackpad to work.

Up to now, I’ve chosen desktop builds that work without DSDT patching, so I’m a total noob there and will have to do some reading up before I dive into that, but it’s something I was going to have to do eventually. Haven’t the first clue on where to start with patching USB, so it’s back to https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/ I suppose.

Installer issue

I removed apfs.efi from Drivers, but the installer (and here I’m referring to the very first part of the installation process before it reboots the first time) still hangs at 2 mins. to go.

That’s a huge bummer, I’ll keep an ear out and see what I can find. FWIW, it seems like the trackpad on your Spectre model is giving some Linux users problems as well: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201775

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Find</key>
<data>SU9LaXQ=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>SU9LaXM=</data>
<true/>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<key>Name</key>
<key>Find</key>
<data>SU9LaXQ=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>SU9LaXM=</data>
<true/>
</dict>

Installer issue

Regarding your trackpad/touhcscreen - please attach a troubleshooting archive.

About graphics:
Notice lilucpu=8 is Skylake. Try 10 for Coffee Lake (For your Whiskey Lake device). WhateverGreen might already be recognizing the correct generation, tho I'm not sure.
IIRC, you'll need to use 0x3EA5 Fake ID for graphics, and a valid ig-platform-id (Starting with 0x3EA5) if the default one doesn't work well. See here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back