Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Spectre x360
CPU
i7 8565U
Graphics
MX150 + UDH 620, 1920 x 1080
Hi all,

Been trying to install Mojave on my late 2018 Spectre x360 15" (Whiskey Lake) as per ctxdl's instructions, this guide and, of course, Rehabman's but had some trouble, as Rehabman's config.plist differs slightly from the guides. I finally managed to get into the installer using the 0x12345678 trick, but the trackpad and keyboard refuse to work.

I plugged in a mouse via usb-c adapter, which worked, but then the install process freezes at the "2 minutes remaining" mark.

I don't know what I can possibly post here for troubleshooting other than my EFI/Clover folder.

Anyone had success with a newer version of this laptop than ctxdl's?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 68
I haven’t had a chance to dive into your conflig.plist yet, but one thing I noticed right away: You have an old version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext in there that was released before a version with a specific Synaptics fix was put into place, and as the Spectre uses Synaptics devices, that may be a problem.

You may also want to consider adding in VoodooI2C and VoodooI2CHID.

I haven’t had a chance to dive into your conflig.plist yet, but one thing I noticed right away: You have an old version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext in there that was released before a version with a specific Synaptics fix was put into place, and as the Spectre uses Synaptics devices, that may be a problem.

that's weird, because I dl'ed the VoodooPS2Controller.kext fresh from the Tonymac repository. Will look for something newer and also try it with the other two kexts. You wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

The bigger problem is actually that the installer hangs with 2 mins. to go.

that's weird, because I dl'ed the VoodooPS2Controller.kext fresh from the Tonymac repository. Will look for something newer and also try it with the other two kexts. You wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

The bigger problem is actually that the installer hangs with 2 mins. to go.

I would grab the releases from the official sources. Here’s RehabMan’s page with the releases for VoodooPS2Controller: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller/src

And VoodooI2C is here: https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/releases

My general policy would be to grab from the GitHub/Bitbucket pages directly as those are quite literally from the source.

I can’t speak in terms of the installer as of yet, but I might recommend using verbose mode to see if any errors creep up.

Thanks for the links, Ernie! I did exactly that with USB inject and the Broadcom kexts but wasn't aware that Rehabman had the voodoo, too.

I thought verbose mode only works up until the installer loads; from there on it's GUI

(see response below)

Last edited:
Ok, no change using VoodooPS2Controller.kext v1.9.2, VoodooI2C.kext v2.2 and VoodooI2CHID.kext v1.0. The keyboard and trackpad are unresponsive and the installation stops at 2 mins. to finishing the first segment.

Just found this in reference to a separate thread about a similar Whiskey Lake machine:

VoodooPS2Controller.kext: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller (Remove the plugin kexts, VoodooPS2touchpad.kext and VoodooPS2mouse.kext, in VoodooPS2Controller.kext to make keyboard work and dose not conflict with VoodooI2C.kext.)

I pulled them out of the file and attached that version here.

I did double-check the graphics card just to be on the safe side, and the Intel graphics are still UHD 620 on the Whiskey Lake version of the Spectre, so this config.plist file should still work. Make sure you change lilucpu=9 to lilucpu=8 in the boot args.

Attachments

• VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip
    39.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Rehabmans version of VoodooPS2Controller has not been updated in a long time and no longer in active development it also lacks native MacOS gesture support.

Try the new version (from the same developers of Lilu, WhatEverGreen .. etc) :-

It supports native MacOS click/track pad gestures such as pich to zoom, smart zoom ... etc
I've been using it on my 2017 Spectre X360 for a month or so and its great to have the extra gestures working.
Seems to be much more responsive than ReHabMans version ...

This version is in active development so if you have problems you can report them to developers and help to make it even better/stable .. etc

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the tip, Jay, but I cannot compile it as my desktop is still on High Sierra and I can no longer download Xcode :( Is there a compiled version on Bitbucket or elsewhere?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back