Contribute
Register

2016-VideoEditing Hackintosh Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

i´m planning to build myself a new workstation for video editing. On my previous job i mostly worked with hackintosh´s but also with the latest original MacPro.
I always had to make things work after my boss bought random hardware for a hackintosh, so i spend quite some time on this site.
Thats why, before i present you my planned setup, i want to thank everyone who has or is contributing on this website. You guys are doing excellent work here and helping guys like me to get some worthy informations about stuff i´m not an expert in ;)

Regarding my build:

I want to build a reliable and strong work station on which i can edit HD (maybe 4k at some point in the future) footage (Adobe Premiere). I also want to use it for minor animations and motion design (AE and Cinema4D).

My budget is around 2.500€

Here are the parts i´m planning to use. I would appreciate every advice.

- Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
(i read a lot of good things about this one and it fits my needs and my budget but there are so many options, i couldnt look into all of them)

- CPU/Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K

- GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti
(Since there is a strong possibility that i will have to handle 4k in the near future i choose the GTX 980 since it should be able to handle things)

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4
(I checked the ones in the Buyers Guide but they did not match with the QVL of the Hero Mobo. Thats why i choose these.)

- HardDrive: - Samsung 840 EVO 1TB ( for the system)
- Seagate Barracuda 3 TB (for the data)​

- CPU-Cooling: Well, here i honestly dont have a clue what to choose. Since size is not an issue i would rather go with a big enough case and strong fans instead of water cooling. So any recommendations?

- PSU: There are only listed 3 on the BuyersGuide. The strongest of them being the Corsair AX 760 Watt. But i had an 850 Watt in mind.
Should i go with the 760 or get one which is not on the list?

- Regarding the case and the displays i have not decided yet. As i said earlier the size of the case doesnt matter. The quality of the display will depend on the remaining budget.

- I plan on installing El Capitan.

So thats it. As i said, any input regarding compatibility as well as some recommendations about the cooling system would be much appreciated.
Since this is my first own hackintosh build i want to make sure that i set up an already tested combination, so i´m open to change parts for compatibility.

I hope this thread is in the right place.

Thanks in advance to everyone. I´m looking forward to your input.

1. I think you will be very happy with your choice of motherboard.

2. I went with all Noctua fans and CPU cooler for my build and think very highly of them.

3. There's no reason why you can't go with a higher rated power supply. Just make sure that it's "Haswell ready" or "Skylake ready".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back