CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
I callled Sager today, and they do not use Optimus, and apparently have a very open bios. They also seem to have options for Wifi, bluetooth, and pretty much everything else internal. The whole thing is actually a desktop underneath from the looks of their literature.

Its a Sager NP9772-S we're looking at. We would be configuring the following, nothing stands out from my research as a red flag, but if anyone sees anything out of the ordinary:

i7-4790K Processor
Intel® Z97 Express Chipset
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 980M GPU or NVIDIA® Quadro™ K3100M (Still deciding)
Killer
N1525 Wifi

For WiFi, do your research...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Wifi is not strictly needed, I can use an adapter. I really just need the processor and video card to be functional up to their baseline specs. It seems that most people hackintosh to reduce the price of the machine, but unfortunately I'm in the camp that's being screwed by apple's streamlining everything to death, and not actually making their laptops more powerful. Thanks for the link, this place has been a fantastic resource!

Cheers!

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
... I really just need the processor and video card to be functional up to their baseline specs. ...
CPU not a problem.

Graphics chip... do the research (use search/google to see if others are successful with the one you're planning to order).

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
CPU not a problem.

Graphics chip... do the research (use search/google to see if others are successful with the one you're planning to order).

what about those without dedicated GPUs, like the dell xps13 with 4K display, it feels like a perfect hackintosh laptop in many ways.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
what about those without dedicated GPUs, like the dell xps13 with 4K display, it feels like a perfect hackintosh laptop in many ways.
4k displays are problematic. But they can work (with limitations) with patching...

Motherboard
HP ProBook 470 G5 (Clover)
CPU
i7-8550u
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Wifi is not strictly needed, I can use an adapter. I really just need the processor and video card to be functional up to their baseline specs. It seems that most people hackintosh to reduce the price of the machine, but unfortunately I'm in the camp that's being screwed by apple's streamlining everything to death, and not actually making their laptops more powerful. Thanks for the link, this place has been a fantastic resource!

Cheers!
Go for Sager/Clevo laptop BUT be sure to find a guy who has nvidia cards working! I have a Clevo one with gtx 970m card that working fine only if in slot-1 (no displays attached), in slot-0 the laptop reboots!

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97M-D3H
CPU
I7-4790K
Graphics
GeForce 740 2GB
Mac
iMac, MacBook, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I callled Sager today, and they do not use Optimus, and apparently have a very open bios. They also seem to have options for Wifi, bluetooth, and pretty much everything else internal. The whole thing is actually a desktop underneath from the looks of their literature.

Its a Sager NP9772-S we're looking at. We would be configuring the following, nothing stands out from my research as a red flag, but if anyone sees anything out of the ordinary:

i7-4790K Processor
Intel® Z97 Express Chipset
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 980M GPU or NVIDIA® Quadro™ K3100M (Still deciding)
Killer
N1525 Wifi

Do you have any updates on this? Curious to see if it worked out for you.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
is this link a case of don't believe everything you read on the interwebs then?

http://blazinglist.com/top-10-best-laptops-hackintosh-2015/

thanks!

Sorry to tell you but there is none. Almost all new slick PC laptops with 4K displays and the goodness that blow Mac Book Pro in every way imaginable are simply not going to work with OSX because they all use Optimus now.

Unless you want to go with something like Sager 10 pound monster laptop that uses desktop level GPU graphics without Optimus technology.. you are going to have hard time finding any laptop on the market that will fit your requirements to replace Mac Book Pro.

The problem, as I already stated is "Optimus" technology relating to Intel chipset and new GTX cards. You can only use OSX with the integrated GPU and if you can't turn off IGD and run Nvidia card alone (in most cases there is no way to do that) you are out of luck. On most new laptops it isn't even possible to turn run discrete GPU (that's why most BIOSes removed the option) because the way Optimus (IGD + dedicated card) work is that the dedicated GPU is going through the IGD to send the signal to the monitor so when the less GPU intensive operations happen while you work Optimus switches discrete graphics on and off as needed without interrupting your experience and sends information back through IGD that's connected to the display.

I have been reading up for weeks now. From slick as hell new Dell 13.3" full frame 4K kick ass all aluminum laptop to this beauty http://www.aorus.com/x3plus.aspx to many many others.. none of them use a fully dedicated GPU and all use Optimus.

I looked at everything:

ASUS, ACER, Gigabyte, Sager, Dell, MSI (Ghost 4K series) Lenovo etc etc.. they all use Optimus. Only ones that don't are a few monster desktop replacement 17.3" laptops that way like almost 10 pounds from Sager and ASUS if I remember correctly.

Plus, all these new slick beautiful laptops are getting pricer now on the PC side. Though they'll offer amazing tech and displays and so on, they are all running around $2k.

Personally, I'm waiting for MBP refresh and I'll just get that (probably will be about 700-800 bucks more than PC variants).. . First time I will actually buy a Mac Book Pro over a PC hackintosh laptop (currently have ASUS G750JX GTX 770M 32gb of ram with 2 SSDs and 1TB storage) and I love it but it's heavy and very cumbersome and I need something thinner.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K
Graphics
nVidia GTX 560
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
So, read through this whole thread and looks like there aren't any laptops at all that would work. Is that where we landed?