Contribute
Register

2013 Mac Pro Specs and Benches Revealed on Geekbench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compared to older Mac Pros, the new machine is not very impressive regarding CPU performance. I am disappointed. What's more, OpenCl is not very well supported.

This machine is not even close to Cooks announcement "something really great". He should have said different instead of great.

23k on the 32bit Geekbench is pretty amazing. That's gonna be very close to 30k in 64 bit. I really like the ram they're using in the new macpro too. I feel like it's way superior to anything corsair or anybody else is selling.

Sorry for some noob questions... Ya I'm a noob. :)

Will the 2013 Mac Pro's Intel Xeon E5-2697 will run in a desktop X79 based motherboard? E.g., if I build a rig around a well-supported X79 mobo, will the Xeon run in it?

On a different note, do you guys think the 2013 Mac Pro video cards will be removable? I've read elsewhere that they're soldered to the motherboard, but that would be pretty dumb in case a GPU failed and needed to be serviced by Apple. I remember the old Power Mac G4 Cube could be "hack upgraded" by replacing the video card with a small selection of alternative video cards. It would be nice if the Mac Pro could do that too.

Now that Apple is giving up on computers with changeable motherboards, do you think nVidia and AMD will stop making a variety of drivers for OS X? The outgoing Mac Pro is the only Mac with a changeable video card, IIRC.

Thx for any info.

Sorry for some noob questions... Ya I'm a noob. :)

Will the 2013 Mac Pro's Intel Xeon E5-2697 will run in a desktop X79 based motherboard? E.g., if I build a rig around a well-supported X79 mobo, will the Xeon run in it?

On a different note, do you guys think the 2013 Mac Pro video cards will be removable? I've read elsewhere that they're soldered to the motherboard, but that would be pretty dumb in case a GPU failed and needed to be serviced by Apple. I remember the old Power Mac G4 Cube could be "hack upgraded" by replacing the video card with a small selection of alternative video cards. It would be nice if the Mac Pro could do that too.

Now that Apple is giving up on computers with changeable motherboards, do you think nVidia and AMD will stop making a variety of drivers for OS X? The outgoing Mac Pro is the only Mac with a changeable video card, IIRC.

Thx for any info.
If you look on the release date of the X79 predecessor (which was in 2008) and the release date of X79 (november 2011), and since intel hasn't announced a new chipset, the chance, that the new mac pro will use the X79 chipset is really big.
So basically the Xeon should work.

As far as I can tell, the graphics cards are fixed to the inner thermal core of the new mac pro. This means, that you will probably not be able to replace them.
Maybe apple will add some option, when you order your new mac pro, where you can choose other graphics cards, but a change of this cards at home will, if even possible, be very complicated.

I think they will not stop, but since there will be a smaller amount of available graphics options for mac they will maybe try to make drivers which offer a better support for those graphics cards.

I think they will not stop, but since there will be a smaller amount of available graphics options for mac they will maybe try to make drivers which offer a better support for those graphics cards.
Hmm, this made me think. It will become even more unattractive for gfx card makers to release Mac versions of regular PC cards. Now apart from firmware/drivers they also have to make a different form factor to fit in the Mac Pro. That's potentially bad news for the hackintosh world.

Though I'm eagerly awaiting powerful, external thunderbolt gfx solutions. That might make me go back to laptops.

"Though I'm eagerly awaiting powerful, external thunderbolt gfx solutions. That might make me go back to laptops."
you're going to be waiting a LONG time. hey will run highly constrained on mac pro TB2 bandwidth and take as much as a 40% performance hit on gaming. god knows on opencl

Yes, 20 Gbps Thunderbolt 2 is too slow for any midrange video card (or better) made since about 2010. The Mac Pro's video cannot be upgraded via that route, AFAICT. Neither can a laptop's.

My hope was that the 2013 Mac Pro video cards could be swapped out / upgraded with whatever video cards may appear in the 2014 Mac Pro or 2015 Mac Pro, but if they're permanently attached to the MB then there goes that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back