Contribute
Register

2013 Mac Pro - My variation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also building this; I've ordered the parts (i3-4150, EVGA GT740 SC, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD) and the same trash can. Is there any way the STL file for the bottom part can be posted? The school I go to has a 3D printer that I can use.

The STL is in the first post. There is also a modified STL without the space in front for audio jacks here:

I think I would use Juan's STL. Juan, how was your part printed? My school has 3D printers (replicator dual and replicator 5th gen), so would that work? I imported it into Makerware and it sort of is pushing the edge on the 5th gen, and would hang off the plate for the dual.

Juan, i have found this http://grabcad.com/library/fun-for-mac-pro-2013-1

Do you think it's usable ?

I wonder what they drive it with? Have you found any mention of what motor they use with it?

It could be usable, but you will be in a space crunch with my layout. If you do without a GPU behind the motherboard, and put the PSU back there, you would have space... or if you went with an external PSU solution of some type (But you would have a tough time powering a GPU with an external PSU solution.)

Juan, how was your part printed? My school has 3D printers (replicator dual and replicator 5th gen), so would that work?

I went with Shapeways, in part because I was worried that the finish from extrusion printers would be just too rough and difficult to smooth out.

You might just cut out a small pie slice from my STL and print it out as a test run to see how it goes. With extrusion printing, the various overhangs might be trouble.

Thank you very much JuanLobo for all your help

Then to make a first installation:
932433total.gif

To be continued...
bit-norty.gif

Hey Bouly, I was wondering... Can you share those designs as STL Files, so that others may be able to print that out with their own 3D Printer? I'd really like to try it out, see how nice our printers can print it!

For those wondering, about the bottom piece for the Mac Pro Mod, I just had this created using one of the 3D Printers that a company I know works with. It may not be 100% perfect, but it could be great for those that want a bottom to go with their Cylinder Mac Pro Mods.

Here's a picture of the bottom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnpo61auhqr8fwk/2014-12-04 22.08.06.jpg?dl=0

Let me know if you're interested in one!

My team is about to get to the stage where we start putting the computer in the Trash Can. We were wondering how you made the aluminum rods that the components were mounted on. Could you send us detailed instructions? I think my school has the tools that we'd need to use. Thanks

I want to try a trash can mod sooooo badly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back