Contribute
Register

2013 Mac Pro - My variation

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are probably the last pictures I'll take. They are cleaner versions of some pictures taken earlier, and highlight the last changes made to the design...

The picaxe fan control board is bolted into place, and gets power from a SATA connector. Instead of a hardware solution, you could use HWMonitor and create a set of GPU temperature thresholds for the case fan to speed it up when the GPU gets hot. The picaxe solution has the benefit of working for both Mac and Windows, and takes into account both heat sources.

Found a left angle power cord that fits and looks better than the white Apple cord. What you can't see in the picture is all the material carved away behind the antenna jacks to make it thin enough for the threads to protrude.

:clap:Bravo! Congratulations. It seems that all is very well fitted and used the space to the maximum. You've taken all the juice to construction. Beautiful last pictures. The power cord in black that is great. I don't know where you have found it because the mine don't fit well except the one from the iMac but you know it's white... until I paint it if no other solution.

I've updated the HW monitor but still gives me the same reading (wrong I guess) of heatsink CPU temperature (127º Celsius) and I have also seen (but bad luck for me) that every time I turn off mavericks the computer restarts by itself approximately at 8 or 10 seconds. Turn off OS X and then turn on OS X by itself in loop... We say here that the celebration is short in the poor's home.

By the way, something I forgot... I have carefully looked in the picture of the new power cord's plug and I think you have given a personal touch. It is possible that you've trimmed or cut off a bit in the corner? You always are on all the details :)
Cut off plug.png

To stop the restart after shutdown, go into BIOS and turn off "Wake on LAN"

This week, Kozlek, the developer currently working on HWMonitor looked into the 127° issue. He determined it is a false reading from a non-existant sensor. While troubleshooting, he found the motherboard model was not getting read correctly, and that has now been fixed. In a future version, the correct motherboard voltages will return.

Yes, you noticed the corner of the cord was sliced off. It was a little too tight. I found that cord on Digikey.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/P006-006-13LA/TL453-ND/4429205

The one I got is not exactly the same as the one pictured, but it was close enough.

To stop the restart after shutdown, go into BIOS and turn off "Wake on LAN"

This week, Kozlek, the developer currently working on HWMonitor looked into the 127° issue. He determined it is a false reading from a non-existant sensor. While troubleshooting, he found the motherboard model was not getting read correctly, and that has now been fixed. In a future version, the correct motherboard voltages will return.

Yes, you noticed the corner of the cord was sliced off. It was a little too tight. I found that cord on Digikey.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/P006-006-13LA/TL453-ND/4429205

The one I got is not exactly the same as the one pictured, but it was close enough.

Fixed boot loop. Thanks a lot. You were right, even though I knew there had the "Wake on Lan" disabled on the BIOS it should be with to reload the Chimera bootloader is enabled again.
More things: The antennas are on the way, I bought them on ebay

http://www.ebay.es/itm/291002252278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and the cables (only two left) in amazon.es with your link

http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B004ULYQ1Y/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21

and I've also seen an angled schuko power cord that might fit. I'm doing tests with cement and shavings or sawdust's ABS (neil method) to restore the damage edge of the hole.
Meanwhile to hope that they arrive parts and that a future version of HWmonitor of Kozle fix this bug.

Fixed boot loop. Thanks a lot. You were right, even though I knew there had the "Wake on Lan" disabled on the BIOS it should be with to reload the Chimera bootloader is enabled again.
More things: The antennas are on the way, I bought them on ebay

http://www.ebay.es/itm/291002252278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and the cables (only two left) in amazon.es with your link

http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B004ULYQ1Y/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21

and I've also seen an angled schuko power cord that might fit. I'm doing tests with cement and shavings or sawdust's ABS (neil method) to restore the damage edge of the hole.
Meanwhile to hope that they arrive parts and that a future version of HWmonitor of Kozle fix this bug.

Hopefully the parts will start arriving soon. I know everything takes a couple weeks to show up for you.

I wanted to try out the Amfeltec Half-Mini PCIe to PCIe adapter to see what could be connected to a mini-itx board. I've thought about other projects that need the ITX board, but it would be nice to have the option of an additional PCIe slot.

I plugged a Blackmagic Inensity PCIe video capture board into Amfeltec adapter which is then plugged into the half-mini PCIe slot. I had to remove the wifi card of course. They also sell splitters so you could hook up 2 cards, but they require a mini-PCIe slot instead of a half-mini. Their boards/slots are mix and match... so you could, for example, get a mini-PCIe splitter board that went to both a 1x PCIe slot and another mini PCIe slot. You can also get 16x slots (like I did) but they only run at 1x speed.

[video=youtube_share;lpN48C63R5E]http://youtu.be/lpN48C63R5E[/video]

Its my Macbook with the iSight turned on, plugged in via HDMI to the Intensity card, that is getting recorded by the hackintosh...

A Mac recording a Mac recording a Mac.

Is your system loud? I am considering getting the power supply that you are using and I am concerned about the noise.

Under normal operating conditions, it is very, very quiet. When 3D gaming, or running Prime95, it does have a "wind tunnel" sound to it due to the shape of the case, not the PSU fan. I am going to try one thing to see if it reduces the noise, even though I don't find it objectionable while playing games.

Congratulations for this wonderful construction, and thank you for sharing all this information.

I'll get into making a mod inspired me greatly of your achievement and your config.

I got in touch to 3D printing, the cost is 105 €, I'll see if I can change your file to remove the flat front.

Having no knowledge in electronics, I'll get an existing system (like zalman case) to automatically control the fan speed according to the temperature inside the box.

Small questions:
The PCI riser, following your installation, it must have a minimum length of 25cm?
The two fans blow air from the well bottom to the top?

I also share my realization as soon as I start this one.

Small questions:
The PCI riser, following your installation, it must have a minimum length of 25cm?
The two fans blow air from the well bottom to the top?

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, the minimum length is 25cm. I would highly recommend the 50cm 3M cable, as it will be easier to route between the motherboard and GPU.

Yes, both the PSU and top fan blow upwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back