Contribute
Register

2013 Mac Pro - My variation

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the back of the motherboard i have installed, using a 30cm pci-e extender, my GTX 260 GL+ GPU card ( still in trial as i have a feeling it will eventually be to large to fit the dust bin

Vaneea, I am really curious how stable that 30cm PCIe cable is when doing heavy gaming. Is that the 30cm cable from www.moddiy.com? Is it shielded?

If I remember right, the volume of the print was 105cm. It is a tiny bit loose fitting into the base, but not enough to adjust it. The price was $150US.

Uh, I should try that in 6 month when I come back from studying abroad. My local university is offering 3D printing for 10€ + 0,3€/cm^3.

Thank you for this, i have sent the request to the printing shop, i hope i will get news soon. As soon as i do, i will post here maybe somebody else will be interested.

Vaneea, I am really curious how stable that 30cm PCIe cable is when doing heavy gaming. Is that the 30cm cable from www.moddiy.com? Is it shielded?

John, i bought my extender from ebay.com since i could not find any reliable provider in Romania nor shops or websites from Europe that charge below 30E for shipping if they ship at all ( except from those who bought the same product and add 100% in profit), the item code is 151194999452. Indeed there is a problem with long extenders, i have searched for benchmarks and the performance penalty while using extenders is not that big BUT there is a possibility to have a BSOD from time to time. I am not that much of a hardcore gamer ( fallout 3 regular user, cossacks 2 or age of empires 2 casual ) so i hope i will not have too much problems.

I just realized i haven't said my complete hardware specs, so there it is:

Mobo: Asus p8h67 -i PRO
CPU: Intel i3 -2120
RAM: 2x 4gb ddr3 1333Mhz (SO-DIMM)
GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX 260 GL+ 896MB ddr3 448b
PSU: Normal ATX Intertech 700W - stripped down to bare PCB and minimum cabling required
SSD: Samsung pro 830 256GB SSD Sata 2
HDD: If it fits WD 2TB hdd
Main chassis fan : Delta Electronics AFB1212HHE with pwm and maximum 123CFM (12v 0.7A), it worked great in the preliminary tests
Top Chasis fan: Either the default 120 mm fan that came with the PSU, which is thermally controlled, or a 90 mm Enermax low speed fan with temperature sensor.

Indeed there is a problem with long extenders, i have searched for benchmarks and the performance penalty while using extenders is not that big BUT there is a possibility to have a BSOD from time to time.

I assume to make it stable, you have to set your PCIe slot speed to 1.0 speeds instead of 3.0?

I assume to make it stable, you have to set your PCIe slot speed to 1.0 speeds instead of 3.0?

GTX 260 is only PCI-E ver. 2.0 and it seems that there are not that much issues with ver. 2

If I remember right, the volume of the print was 105cm. It is a tiny bit loose fitting into the base, but not enough to adjust it. The price was $150US.

Here is the STL file:
View attachment 82561

I'd be interested to see how other printing methods look.

I found a shop here in germany where it will cost around 50-60 Euro but they offer different kind of materials, like PLA plastic, ABS plastic and HIPS. What material did you use for the base ?

I found a shop here in germany where it will cost around 50-60 Euro but they offer different kind of materials, like PLA plastic, ABS plastic and HIPS. What material did you use for the base ?

Shapeways "Strong and Flexible". I believe it is nylon. Their printers use laser sintering instead of extrusion.

I received my quota for printing the base, it's 60E with 20% fill. John, your 3d print is full or do you have these small beams which take up 20% as fill.

I have attached the sketch of my print, i am not sure this will be strong enough.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 780
I received my quota for printing the base, it's 60E with 20% fill. John, your 3d print is full or do you have these small beams which take up 20% as fill.

I have attached the sketch of my print, i am not sure this will be strong enough.

Mine is solid. I don't know enough about using fill to know how strong it might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back