Contribute
Register

2013 Mac Pro - My variation

Status
Not open for further replies.
John!!! I really like where this is going! I wanted to ask you about the psu. How is the sound per the part you chose. I am going from a i5 IVY with h60 cooler and another fan for the hdd. That is all put together in a G5 case. My plan is to do 2 of these. So I am excited to see your progress.

Yep, not perfectly smooth, but very nice. The lines you see near the power cord entrance is the worst part of the print... the rest is smoother.

Certainly nothing that can't be remedied during the paint process. The good part is that the intake is in a low visibility area so even if it is not perfectly smooth, it won't be very noticeable.

@JuanLobo

Shapeways 3D printed 2013 Hackintosh Pro Base

is possible upload the 3D file so that others can build a Base closeUP

I would also like to build a base plate in Germany by Fabberhouse

@JuanLobo

Shapeways 3D printed 2013 Hackintosh Pro Base

is possible upload the 3D file so that others can build a Base closeUP

I would also like to build a base plate in Germany by Fabberhouse

I think he already did. Have a look in the original 2013 Mac Pro thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mac-pro-mods/120757-mac-pro-late-2013-replica-11.html#post755205

If you have informations about the price for this part at fabberhouse please tell us. I'm also from germany.

@klausi13
Contakt me on root86 Germany whit da same User Name

Hello everybody,

I have joined the guild of the Mac pro 2013 replicators, with what seems to be a different approach than everybody else.

I have ordered my dust bin from ambientedirect.com on the 19th of January and it should arrive in Bratislava in the following days. From Bratislava i will have it shipped to Romania, this being the location i currently reside in (this is the cheapest shipping method). Meanwhile i have worked on the main chassis, electronics for motion and light sensor and the DIY thermal core, yes i want to replicate the thermal core technology in the mac pro.

The basic design is simple, have a large 120-150 mm server fan ( 120 - 225CFM ) at the base that runs at 1000-1200 rpm and is decently silent. Over this server fan have the motherboard ( Asus P8h67-i PRO ) installed with an adapted sk 771 copper passive heatsink with the fins oriented parallel to the airflow. On the back of the motherboard i have installed, using a 30cm pci-e extender, my GTX 260 GL+ GPU card ( still in trial as i have a feeling it will eventually be to large to fit the dust bin ). The GPU card also has a modified sk 771 passive copper heatsink oriented parallel to the airflow. Above the motherboard i have placed the PCB of my PSU (Intertech 700W) with only the required cables for this setup. Above my psu there is a 1200 mm fan that revs at 700 to 1200 rpm depending on the temperatures of the psu ( i have attached a sensor to PSU's heatsink).
I have run my setup for a few days now and the temperatures have gone down about 5-10 degrees, especially on the GPU. The whole setup is dead silent and runs smooth.
I still have a problem with space, since i haven't received my bin yet, i am not sure everything will fit nicely. I also have a problem with the bottom plate, i guess i will go with Sascha's approach because i couldn't find a 3d printing service where i live. Also in my design, i planned on having every mobo connector laser cut out in the back or vertical drilled to specifications. Upon testing laser on thick ABS plastic i discovered that the finishing product looks rough and bulky so i will go with vertical drilling, slow and steady. As i mentioned before, i want to add the motion and light sensor function in order to lit the back panel whenever the light conditions are dim or i rotate my hack-mac. I have the electronics setup ( i used the sensors from a watch lamp, which has an led and light sensor incorporated, i bought the motion sensor and board from a local shop), my main problem in this part is that i cannot laser cut the icons of the external connector in the back panel without ruining the plastic, as i have seen in John's pics the plastic is pretty thick.
My final setup would be, black case with a small apple logo cutout in the front backlit by a power on white led, with a backlit back panel for each connector.
I will post pictures of my progress as soon as i get my rig reassembled maybe others will soon follow.
Thank you!

Hello John,

Seeing this nice 3d print i decided to have a try with a local print supplier for my setup.

The price quota for 3d printing is 0.80 -0.99E/square centimeter , do you have any idea ,based on your print, what would be the volume required for this print? How have you been quoted for your print, based on what factors?

Thank you!

If I remember right, the volume of the print was 105cm. It is a tiny bit loose fitting into the base, but not enough to adjust it. The price was $150US.

Here is the STL file:
View attachment 2013HackProV2bin.stl.zip

I'd be interested to see how other printing methods look.

How is the sound per the part you chose.

By my ears, it is very quiet, but I have only heard it at idle so far. By this weekend I'll have windows 8 on it and can tell better how loud it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back