Contribute
Register

2013 Mac Pro Announced at WWDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the new mac pro 360 degrees.

For those who aren't happy of the lack of internal components expandibility, think about this. Apple haven't upgraded the thunderbolt display yet... let's see if they add a slot for discrete graphics in it ;) Just a silly idea maybe, but from a designer point of view, you have room there and thunderbolt allows it.
Apple are you reading? :shh:

The new design of the Mac Pro is absolutely ASTONISHING!!! The build, the power, the, the, the... everything. But there is one more thing :D... thad budders me badly. I'v been working in CGi industry for many years. As a pro artist I need (and not just me) one special requirement from a computer in general and that is nvidia GPU.

Premiere mostly uses CUDA, After Effects is CUDA, Nuke (there is no compositing software like nuke right now) is CUDA, iray in 3D Max, Catia, Bunkspeed and Cinema 4D is CUDA, RTT DeltaGen is CUDA, Octane Render is CUDA, Arion Render is CUDA, 3D Coat have CUDA Voxel Sculpting, Maya, 3D Max and Softimage uses Physx, etc.

There is one software that uses both CUDA and OpenCL and that is Vray. Well OpenCL version of Vray works terryble bad on GCN architecture (because AMD is so good in OpenCL...). It crashes when you load a bit more complex scene and the performance is not that good. Also on OpenCL it takes longer to load scenes in vram than CUDA.

I don't believe in synthetic benchmarks like luxrender and other OpenCL crap stuff. Believe me absolutely nobody uses Luxrender and other useless OpenCL benches in production. So some good results with AMD GPUs on those useless apps are totally irrelevant. On real world 3D pro apps nvidia is far more better.

Kepler is a better architecture for GPGPU also better geometric power inside 3D OpenGL and DirectX viewports for DCC and CAD apps, better drivers, better frame rates and frame times, better technologies like TXAA, 3D stereo, v-sync, 4k rez, ECC mens, larger software support, more energy efficient and so on.

Mainly the new Mac Pro is build more for Final Cut Pro & Motion and there OpenCL standards which is way too little in both CGI and mechanical/industrial CAD industries.

PS: Seriously do you really need dual GPU for Final Cut?

Tooooo bad... really too bad :(. The new Mac Pro could be a great success if it also have nvidia Quadro option.

I believe we will see a CUDA Card on thunderbolt very soon. Think in a small box, with proper power supply, thunderbolt interface (in and out) and other displays out for compatibility.

this kind of product will fit ANY COMPUTER, even a Macbook air.

What's the problem of Apple with PCI-e slots?¡?¿¡¡ I don't understand this politic.

The Thunderbolt expansion capabilities are very very very expensive. From a simple HDD to a pci expansion chassis, all is very expensive.

I don't want a piece of MOMA in my studio, i just want a computer as faster as possible, definitely hackintosh is the way¡¡¡¡¡¡

Best regards¡¡

Don't know quite what to make of this yet. I was most concerned by Woz's lack of reaction and almost poker face (perhaps hiding disappointment) when the reveal came in the Keynote and the camera zoomed on him. Things like that are very telling. Wasn't there a big riff between Woz and Jobs about eliminating the expansion ports that the Apple II had and the Mac only had ports? Perhaps my memory is failing me.

That is indeed true, Woz discribes this in his biography, his philosophy is that users have to be able to add hardware and expand the machine themselves. :)

Anyway i think this machine is gonna be a huge succes anyway!

With one condition... everybody must implement OpenCL :D. Damn looks so good.

for me, it's too early to be happy or unhappy for the new mac pro. we don't have a lot of informations to make an idea. for example:
-12 core, ok, but which cpu speed?
-ssd, ok, but how many gb?
-double amd gpu, ok, but what's the performance compared to 7970 or gtx 680 or quadro 5000?
-most important thing...what about the price? because i have to add a lot of extrernal peripherals, and they cost a lot.

i think mac pro will starts from 3699$ more or less.
what do you think?

Had to do it ; )

Attachments

• mac_pro_new.jpg
    mac_pro_new.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 1,842
  • mac_pro_new1.jpg
    mac_pro_new1.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1,691
The Future for Pro's desktop fact.....

I can't tell you how many audio and video rigs with the old tower that look exactly like that... Let's not forget, the Mac Pro only had 3 extra drive bays and four expansion slots. That was not enough for many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back