Contribute
Register

2012 Mac Mini Rebuild in a mini case (Noob Question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Z87X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Guys, new to the forum here.

Im running a mac mini 2012 i7 2.6 with 16gb ram, an SSD & HDD for music production. It runs at about 100 C with many of my projects and there's no way of cooling it. I've tried 2 different laptop cooling stands with fans, standing it on it's side, raising it etc.

What I want to know, is there a way to build the Mini into something like a Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced or something similar & adding a water cooling system?

Another option I'm thinking of is selling the mini & building http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...ld-ga-z87x-oc-i7-4770k-hd4600-gt-640-a-4.html

Does anyone know if it will run osx in 64 bit? My audio stuff is all 64bit? And will it make any difference to the stability if I use Adata Ram & a different PSU & Cooling system?

Many Thanks for any help
Ez

Hi Guys, new to the forum here.
... It runs at about 100 C with many of my projects and there's no way of cooling it. I've tried 2 different laptop cooling stands with fans, standing it on it's side, raising it etc.

What I want to know, is there a way to build the Mini into something like a Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced or something similar & adding a water cooling system? ...

Does anyone know if it will run osx in 64 bit? My audio stuff is all 64bit? And will it make any difference to the stability if I use Adata Ram & a different PSU & Cooling system?

Many Thanks for any help
Ez
To answer your questions

1. Mac Mini Cooling Issues: If you have an issue with Heat in a genuine Mac Mini, I would take it back to Apple, it maybe defective.

2. Water Cooling. This may be challenging for two reasons, firstly Apple machines are built from custom parts, thus finding suitable components may be a challenge. Secondly not many people on this forum do this sort of thing, they adapt generic PC components to run OSX, so you may be on your own here.

3. 64bit: Yes builds on these forums run 64 bit, and have done so for some time. Generally compatibility comes from three factors a) using components that are used in Apple machines b) Waiting for official Apple OSX support c) Work by others on the forum to glue it all together

Before I got into what I am doing now, I started out modding Mac Minis.

The best source of info you will find is probably over on the forums of 123macmini.com - if someone has had the same issues as you or has come up with innovative solutions you'll likely find the answers there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back