Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
:eek:

thelostswede has informed me that upon inspection of ifixit's teardown, the new iMacs released May 3rd have Intel BD82Z68 Platform Controller Hub.

This is Intel's new higher-end Z68 Chipset for Sandy Bridge 1155 which comes out on May 11th. Apple gets the new stuff before anyone else once again. :thumbup:

Re: 2011 iMacs Have Z68 Chipset

well as long as i know (and i may be wrong) Z68 = P67+Integrated Graphics support+SSD cache+few less addons, so it should be fine for us with P67 boards.

Re: 2011 iMacs Have Z68 Chipset

emaf said:
well as long as i know (and i may be wrong) Z68 = P67+Integrated Graphics support+SSD cache+few less addons, so it should be fine for us with P67 boards.

Sure- ya the Z68 stuff isn't altogether that different.

Why did they bother with z68? They don't use the onboard graphics, they don't allow you to overclock, and they didn't toss a small SSD in to support the caching feature. Am I missing some other z68 advantage?

As long as we can get native support or h67 & p67 chipsets via the next OSX update we should treat this as a welcome addition. On the thought of Apple getting goodies from Intel way before anything else all I can say is that "I almost expect it to be like that now"

mjgunn said:
Why did they bother with z68? They don't use the onboard graphics, they don't allow you to overclock, and they didn't toss a small SSD in to support the caching feature. Am I missing some other z68 advantage?

The new iMacs have a built to order option for both SSD and standard Hard drive. But I'm not sure whether OS X is taking advantage of Intel's SSD Caching yet. Maybe in Lion.

ssimac.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the SSD option is 256MB (and $500 at that) it would appear that Apple is not using the caching feature of Z68, yet. We could conceivably see that in a hardware refresh after Lion is out. I think the obvious thing for now is anyone contemplating building a Sandy Bridge machine (regardless of OS choice) ought to wait for Z68. The formal announcement is supposed to be next week.

What would you guys think about getting a Z68 board? It should be similar to the P67 boards so in terms of compatibility everything should be fine right? Provided the same components are used?

jakku said:
Apple official use Z68 chipset confirmed. So I'll wait Z68 chipset for new SB hackintosh, or w8 for ivy bridge (confused). Anyway Z68 chipset is best for new hackintosh system.

Ive Bridge is the processor, Z68 is the chipset. You can use an Ivy Bridge processor in any 1155 socket. Z68 is P67 with integrated video, quick sync, and SSD caching (none of which apple use ATM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back