Contribute
Register

Mini Cube — H110MSTX-HD3 — i7-7700T — RX 560

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did it shut down completely ? Besides lack of enough juice to run the card there may not be enough PCIe lanes for it to work fully.
Yes!, I restarted and everything was fine. I was benching in GB 5, when it got to Gaussian Blur, it shut down. I've plugged the 560 back in and working in windows to get the right drivers.

Update, It didn't like being benched!.

More than likely, the video card was pulling too much power either from the PCI-e slot or from the 6/8-pin power connectors. Remember, normal PCI-e slots provide up to 75W of power...

More than likely, the video card was pulling too much power either from the PCI-e slot or from the 6/8-pin power connectors. Remember, normal PCI-e slots provide up to 75W of power...
Got it!. I wasn't expecting it to work at all, but suspected something may happen, the brick powering all that wasn't designed with a RX 570 in mind!. The RX 560 seems much happier, I even have enough juice to power a second SSD for a dual boot. Still struggling with the Windows drivers!.

So, my mission, should I choose to accept it!, is to pack this dual booting mini with a RX560 eGPU into two 2009 Mac mini cases. I have a 3D printer on standby, a 60hr work week to negotiate and an allotted 10 days to get it done!.

799D93CA-C8C6-4235-AD83-F13BCF119564.jpeg

Seems to me like you already accepted the mission! :thumbup:

And what a mission!, I have a free day to tinker and hackintosh, I would like something printed by the end of today. After staring at it this morning, I’m wondering if the best layout would be motherboard on the bottom, graphics card above, with both fans pointing at each other?. The thinking is that if both fans are pulling air in then there’s going to a surge of air coming through the middle. Would that be the best layout for efficient cooling?. It would mean that the two IO will be pointing in opposite directions.

Thanks for the files by the way! I will look into that eventually.
You're Welcome @Charlee78. I'll update them to include the inside grooves and slots.

Last edited:
I made a new RX 560 called the AERO Gigabyte RX 560. I'm using the heat sink from my broken MSI AERO, which probably has twice as much metal as the Gigabyte one and considerably lighter!. After a good cleaning a fresh blob of Arctic Silver Ceramique was applied, I reused outer shell from the old AERO because that's what the heat shield attaches to, but I don't mind, it looks better!. I also used a Gigabyte fan because the connection to the board is three pin, whereas MSI use 4 pin.

IMG_4089.jpeg

IMG_4090.jpeg

Last edited:
Or you could install the graphics card on the bottom, make a hole under the motherboard and print a shroud to make sure the graphics pulls air from under the motherboard.

That would also give you the opportunity to print something :headbang:

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 10.04.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 10.06.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 10.05.37 PM.png
I'm pretty sure this is close to a final layout, I do
have to raise the lower case and motherboard by
1/2 an inch because of the length of the RS53R
cable, you'll also notice that the IOs are pointing
in opposite directions. I like the idea of a gap in
between the cases, from side on you could
effectively see through it

Status