Contribute
Register

Mini Cube — H110MSTX-HD3 — i7-7700T — RX 560

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I had in mind was installing the graphic card under the one already modded, removing the metal part in the graphics case allows to remove the plastic with the apple logo. Then I would make a hole in the lower part of the other case ( the one with the motherboard in it). Doing so would allow the graphic card to pull air between the cases and under the upper part too. Let me know if my idea is not clear :crazy:

@craighazan If you don't mind, where do you get your cases?

The seller was on Ebay, computers_and_fashions. I couldn't find any more Mac minis in there listings, but they do have other interesting vintage Mac bits and pieces, worth a look!.

What I had in mind was installing the graphic card under the one already modded, removing the metal part in the graphics case allows to remove the plastic with the apple logo. Then I would make a hole in the lower part of the other case ( the one with the motherboard in it). Doing so would allow the graphic card to pull air between the cases and under the upper part too. Let me know if my idea is not clear :crazy:

I considered that idea too!, removing one of the plastic top covers. I haven't decided on how the cases will be put together yet, I'm interested in hearing other ideas too. I also bought a new RX 560!, not the one I originally wanted, I'll update when it arrives. The cable is due to arrive sometime between Aug 31 and Oct 27!.

Like this @Charlee78?, the top comes out really easily.

CFCDFBB0-F672-44AE-8B23-895A474AC78D.jpeg

@Charlee78 thank you for your input, it’s very much appreciated. I’m looking forward to sitting in front of the desktop later and sharing some of my thoughts on the ideas you’ve mentioned. I also read up on the Dell display with the iMac stand, I think I know what you’re talking about, I have a Intel core duo 2006 iMac that may have similar mountings.

Something I haven't done in a while, thoughts on paper, but here we are with an interesting mod mini!. Something I've always thought about with this project was that the space it occupies should be a cube, two minis stacked is 4", so that leaves us 2.5" to either, like the cube have feet or have a space in the middle. As Charlee78 mentions, removing the top cover from one of the minis opens up space between the two cases and would let everything breathe better. This is easily done by pushing the corners from the inside and the metal sheet attached to the cover on the inside pops out of its slot from the casing. Some plastic rivets that fasten the sheet to the top will pop away but it's nothing to worry about and can be reused. Someone suggested using spacers like in the 'Dell display on iMac', though undeniably beautiful, I'm not sure I have enough space in the corners to fix the motherboard. With all this in mind and a 120mm square 3D print bed to work from, I thought about this internal 3D printed skeleton that could fasten the motherboard and graphics card and would lock inside the casing. My 2006 iMac PSU is fixed to the plastic standoffs with another brass standoff between, so I'm assuming it's safe!.

IMG_4059.JPG
IMG_4060.JPG

Some different layouts for the dual minis, there is a ridge where the top fits that could hold a skeleton for the hardware in the middle.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 11.20.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 11.20.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 11.21.36 AM.png

I like the idea!

How about a third one? You stack the 3 of them and you get your mac mini cube. You could print the backing to close the case. Heck, you could install the graphics card vertically and even install a pico psu inside!

Check out the heat pipe design of this silent cube build with the coolers of the CPU and GPU joined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back